ODM DNA reel seat issues?

Rate this topic

JimK

I just purchased a brand new ODM DNA, 9 foot rod. Last night while fighting a fish, I felt my real moving around in the real seat. I stopped reeling to tighten down the real seat and lost a fish. 
1. has anyone else experienced this with their ODM DNA?

2.  What did you do about it?

I know I could take it back to the dealer, or contact ODM I guess, but my work schedules busy and I’m fishing if I’m not working right now.  I’ll probably just wind up duct taping the real seat knob, so it doesn’t spin loose again. Seems a shame  to have to do this with a brand new rod though.

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

I have had this issue on rods before, not necessarily odm. A wrap or two of electrical tape on the reel seat nut, end of problem

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

I'll never understand why manufacturers seem to insist on using such cheap reelseats.  I wouldn't put that $6 fuji with a single locking nut on a kid's trout rod, but they'll put one on a $300 surf rod.....

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

I owned a DNA for a month before selling it. The only reason I owned it to begin with is because I had a gift card that was expiring and impulsively bought the first rod I saw in stock.

Never again.

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

@JimK I don’t have such gear as you mentioned, but I have noticed that certain reel seats don’t like certain reel stem bases (or whatever the real name is) sometimes you tighten it in and no matter how tight there is still a little slop. If that’s the issue- Easy fix is a wrap or 2 of electrical tape around the reel stem base (only the part that slides into the reel seat) then tighten it up. 

I have the 7' 6" and yes I've experienced the reel seat loosening, but it did happen during a long fight with an unintentional hookup of cow nose ray last summer. I was surprised I didn't break the rod honestly. 

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

2 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

@JimK I don’t have such gear as you mentioned, but I have noticed that certain reel seats don’t like certain reel stem bases (or whatever the real name is) sometimes you tighten it in and no matter how tight there is still a little slop. If that’s the issue- Easy fix is a wrap or 2 of electrical tape around the reel stem base (only the part that slides into the reel seat) then tighten it up. 

Interesting you say that. I just took this particular reel off of another rod. I’m that rod I could tighten it down as tight it will go and it would always be loose. In this case I can make it tight, but it loosens up. Could be the reel. 

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"