Unknown Fish in Falmouth Salt Pond

Rate this topic

jsto

My family has a house on a Falmouth salt pond that I fish regularly, catching a wide variety of species primarily targeting striped bass. Last fall while targeting stripers feeding on peanut bunker I noticed some smaller fish occasionally, likely between 8 and 16 inches, swimming in pairs or trios within the peanuts hugging the marshy shore. I casted at them when they passed by, but they refused a variety of lures, often spooking. I have never noticed this behavior before out of the hundreds of hours and years I have fished the pond before. I have caught many rarer fish to the area making it hard to narrow down, however the fish seemed to have a lighter shadow and somewhat thinner profile, leading me to believe northern kingfish could not be the mystery fish. I am also sure they were not snapper blues, small striped bass, scup, seabass, or any other common fish to Falmouth. My top suspects are currently blue runners, jack crevalle, and weakfish. I would be especially intrigued about weakfish as I know of the potential to find them in south cape ponds but have somehow never encountered any. Any information is greatly appreciated.

What month? Any noticeable coloration patterns?

I've typically encountered shad along the CCB shoreline.

A number of local ponds connect to herring runs, if this was the spring specifically that's a contender.

Falmouth between Buzzards and the south side gets it's fair share of semi tropical species during the latter half of summer and early fall.

Banded rudders usually hold near structure, either solitary or as a pair. I've seen other Jack species in small schools and exhibiting similar behavior to your description.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

9 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

It's a baby whale!!!!!

A baby grey whale swam around in a small bay (Alamitos Bay), where I was fishing.. I stopped fishing until it swam back out..

We have mullet on the west coast that act, and look like what you describe…

Butch

1 hour ago, jsto said:

My family has a house on a Falmouth salt pond that I fish regularly, catching a wide variety of species primarily targeting striped bass. Last fall while targeting stripers feeding on peanut bunker I noticed some smaller fish occasionally, likely between 8 and 16 inches, swimming in pairs or trios within the peanuts hugging the marshy shore. I casted at them when they passed by, but they refused a variety of lures, often spooking. I have never noticed this behavior before out of the hundreds of hours and years I have fished the pond before. I have caught many rarer fish to the area making it hard to narrow down, however the fish seemed to have a lighter shadow and somewhat thinner profile, leading me to believe northern kingfish could not be the mystery fish. I am also sure they were not snapper blues, small striped bass, scup, seabass, or any other common fish to Falmouth. My top suspects are currently blue runners, jack crevalle, and weakfish. I would be especially intrigued about weakfish as I know of the potential to find them in south cape ponds but have somehow never encountered any. Any information is greatly appreciated.

What kinda color do you think they were?

My first thought is bluebacks if mid-late spring or hickories.

I've never seen them swim with pnutts though they usually are after them.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

25 mins ago, DAQ said:

Mullet or hickory shad.

We did have a good push of muller mid fall.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, hydraman said:

I’ve seen cod before in the back bays and they were very spooked.  They only traveled what seemed in pairs. 

Definitely not cod, much lighter more blue back patterns.

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

What kinda color do you think they were?

My first thought is bluebacks if mid-late spring or hickories.

I've never seen them swim with pnutts though they usually are after them.

HH

It was fall and the fish were among the peanuts but seemed to be hunting them to a degree very passively.