When do you use pencil poppers and spooks?

Rate this topic

The only time I've had success with either is during a run when they are blitzing so I've stopped tossing them unless they're actively feeding off the top.  That said I was wondering if anyone here have used it successfully when there are no signs of active feeding?  Thanks

I'm in the New England region but sure, sometimes the fish are actively feeding or prospecting subsurface and just not showing themselves on top. In a given session, I try top, mid, and bottom lures until I find something that works best and then stick with it until it doesn't. If nothing's obvious on the surface, I'll blind cast topwater for a few casts, usually with a spook but a pencils good too, and  I'll either get a reaction very quickly or no reaction at all. The response of the fish will then dictate your next move. :) You'd be surprised at the fish you can raise when it doesn't look like there are any around. 

Pfantum Pfishah

1 hour ago, drafters65 said:

The only time I've had success with either is during a run when they are blitzing so I've stopped tossing them unless they're actively feeding off the top.  That said I was wondering if anyone here have used it successfully when there are no signs of active feeding?  Thanks

I'm In CNJ, This past year I usually started off throwing the smaller white pencil, there were no signs of any bait but still did OK, on blues at least. 

DSCN7869.JPG

There isn't a session where I don't use them. While a lot of patterns happen throughout the year on specific colors and lure styles, there's also fish that strike for no rhyme or reason other than they love the way that pencil or spook is swimming. Always worth a few casts with them. Especially if everything else isn't really producing. 

I visited a spot yesterday, same day part and tide as one year ago.  That day there wasn't any evidence of fish but tossing a spook got their attention.   Went back again yesterday to try and duplicate it but no luck.  However, friends I saw in the far distance were tossing spooks with success.  Again, no evidence if fish around but also, no evidence of bait.   What does it all mean?  It means carry the spook and don't be afraid to toss it.  

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

early mornings in May in NJ is when i have quite a bit of success in the rivers

and they are some of the best lures for finding fish in the fall run during the day in NJ, this year they were first out of the bag and found fish very consistently

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

13 hours ago, SurfMonster said:

I fish topwater more than I should but I get interest year round on both.

Amen on that.  

Regarding bait in the water/ no bait. I sometimes think they hit the plug out of anger or curiosity as much as they do thinking it's a meal. Follows, wakes, bulges from a pass, tail slaps are all signs of them just getting pissed or interested it's overhead and not so much them thinking it's matching the forage that may or may not be present. Sure it always helps to have visual signs of bait about.  

Topwater is a great searching tool.  Whenever I’m scouting new areas it’s often what I’ll throw first. Even if they don’t commit they’ll often swirl on your plug letting you know that they’re there, just keep your eyes peeled on the water around the lure. If they won’t commit up top you can go to work trying different depth/profiles.  Come back to the same spot at low light and go to town with poppers/spooks, it’ll be your best bet if you’re trying to go that route.  

20 hours ago, bbfish said:

Topwater is a great searching tool.  Whenever I’m scouting new areas it’s often what I’ll throw first. Even if they don’t commit they’ll often swirl on your plug letting you know that they’re there, just keep your eyes peeled on the water around the lure. If they won’t commit up top you can go to work trying different depth/profiles.  Come back to the same spot at low light and go to town with poppers/spooks, it’ll be your best bet if you’re trying to go that route.  

Interesting.  I've never thought about using spooks or poppers at low light or night.  They're always referred to as daytime lures.  

42 mins ago, drafters65 said:

Interesting.  I've never thought about using spooks or poppers at low light or night.  They're always referred to as daytime lures.  

When I say low light I mean dawn, dusk, and overcast conditions.  I’ve certainly caught fish on topwater in the dark/nighttime but it’s pretty rare that I’ll even give it a chance.  Most of the time I’m only fishing topwater at night if the fish have continued to bite through dusk and I don’t feel like I need to change it up. as a rule you’ll greatly up your chances with topwater at low light vs fishing them in broad daylight. The only exception would be during an all out blitz.