St Brandon’s box

Rate this topic

Fergal

I always bring some different color “puffs” on bonefish trips. Take some along, they can save a trip.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

Insert 2 is done. Gotchas with a few different types of hair, most of them are badger, either tail or skin. They’re tied with different eyes and different amounts of hair to cover a multiple sink rates. Chartreuse clousers are up next. 

IMGx_5464.jpeg

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1 hour ago, Txcruiser said:

Did you print and laminate the fly list or was it part of a trip packet?  I like the organization either way.  

i did that.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

51 mins ago, theshadow said:

Are you going to target the GTs too?

Yes, I’ll get there with the flies eventually. I’m starting with the bonefish stuff, then permit since those are the main attractions there. 

I probably won’t get much tying done over the next month. I’m prepping for FL now so that is consuming most of my spare time.

OK. I tied a bunch of flies for a friends trip to the Seychelles last month. He did really well on big poppers as others did too in the group. The darker streamer patterns imitating the reef fish out fished bunker,herring type flies.8" seemed best from prior ties. Sharpie markers brought helped too. A dream trip I'll never get to do.

• 1 month later...

I’m back to tying for this trip. I spoke to someone at Yellowdog that just returned from St. Brandon’s and I’ll be narrowing down what I tie/take with me by a lot now. For bones - mainly spawning shrimp type things in 2-4; pillow talks in 4-6-8, mainly 6; small fleeing crab type flies (a bit different vs what is usually tied); and small crabs. Permit - mainly alphlexo crabs in tan or white, size 2 and some 4; small mekrins (2&4); small fleeing crabs but mainly the Alphlexo’s will be used. GT - they’re not a major fish here so I won’t bring too much in that regard. Mainly light colors for them (white, tan/white, etc). I’ll bring along some other things in case there’s an encounter with them too (cuda, milkfish, etc) but not a lot of that.

Right now, I’m working on pillow talks then to shrimp. While that trip is still a long way off it will be here before I know it and I’m hoping to chip away with a few every night after work and the gym. I really don’t need to tie anything else for my fishing here or FL so I should be able to tie in stages and keep my desk neat, which will keep me going.

6 hours ago, Fergal said:

I’m back to tying for this trip. I spoke to someone at Yellowdog that just returned from St. Brandon’s and I’ll be narrowing down what I tie/take with me by a lot now. For bones - mainly spawning shrimp type things in 2-4; pillow talks in 4-6-8, mainly 6; small fleeing crab type flies (a bit different vs what is usually tied); and small crabs. Permit - mainly alphlexo crabs in tan or white, size 2 and some 4; small mekrins (2&4); small fleeing crabs but mainly the Alphlexo’s will be used. GT - they’re not a major fish here so I won’t bring too much in that regard. Mainly light colors for them (white, tan/white, etc). I’ll bring along some other things in case there’s an encounter with them too (cuda, milkfish, etc) but not a lot of that.

Right now, I’m working on pillow talks then to shrimp. While that trip is still a long way off it will be here before I know it and I’m hoping to chip away with a few every night after work and the gym. I really don’t need to tie anything else for my fishing here or FL so I should be able to tie in stages and keep my desk neat, which will keep me going.

Awesome. This will be a beautiful trip. Enjoy the preparation.

Cheers