Thin metal lip

Rate this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 7:51 PM, XBMX said:

Bet a 7in RedFin will outcatch them all.

Probably so. I was thinking needlefish too perhaps. Other than a few occasions here and there I don’t really fish ML’s much. Not sure what the west coast smelt looks like size wise but you would be hard pressed to find that minnows don’t work well. I do agree though when you have a lot of skinny bait, skinny lures seem to work well. 

Aren’t the California guys nuts over Lucky Craft? Worth a try. 

The Japanese ichi-something-or-other lipless plastic things, like the Joe Baggs Swarter, are very narrow bodied and a different action from SPs & Bombers. (I like the Bomber LC best personally.)

28 mins ago, EricDice said:

Aren’t the California guys nuts over Lucky Craft? Worth a try. 

The Japanese ichi-something-or-other lipless plastic things, like the Joe Baggs Swarter, are very narrow bodied and a different action from SPs & Bombers. (I like the Bomber LC best personally.)

Yes they are… especially where I’m from. I’m not a fan but there are some similar baits I’ll be trying this season

4 hours ago, redfin said:

Probably so. I was thinking needlefish too perhaps. Other than a few occasions here and there I don’t really fish ML’s much. Not sure what the west coast smelt looks like size wise but you would be hard pressed to find that minnows don’t work well. I do agree though when you have a lot of skinny bait, skinny lures seem to work well. 

image.jpeg.4237a3eb600840e3e55f6f02349cf341.jpegThe smelt will get up to that big… I’d say average they’re feeding on though is probably about 3-8 inches

3 hours ago, Bcsurfcastinghmb said:

image.jpeg.4237a3eb600840e3e55f6f02349cf341.jpegThe smelt will get up to that big… I’d say average they’re feeding on though is probably about 3-8 inches

Those are pretty big. Daiwa SP minnow in sandeel is a dead ringer for those. Thanks for posting the pic.