Day trip in Manhattan with kids

Rate this topic

foxfai

Planning on bringing the kids to American Dream and stopping by Manhattan with the kids (3+5). Never been in Manhattan for all the years I am here in Boston due to price, crowd and really nothing my type to just throw away money. 

However may consider bringing the kids to wax museum, discovery center(?), dim sum palace, and tour of the city on a low budget. I use to go to lower Manhattan Chinatown / Flushing for day tour for Chinese food eats. 

Any suggestion in town or even out of town around the area to relax and give the kids a field day? Also trying to plan a rain day if that happens. Parking is a b*tch too.

EDIT: 

Thank you so much for the kind words. I personally already leaning away from going in NYC and you guys are awesome pointing me to the right direction. 

Are there are any other areas surrounding that's worth a visit? We will be hitting American dream and Mizuwa Jap market area for sure. 

Edited by foxfai

Sorry foxfai. I would stay the hell away from NYC completely. We as a family used to go multiple times a year. Times square, world Trade center, the museums and plays. We even used to go to the Bronx Zoo. The city has turned into a total sh*thole. Crime ridden, filthy swarming with vermin. You will be responsible for keeping yourself, wife and kids safe while trying to keep the kids from seeing what cannot be unseen. Just my opinion. There are way many more clean, fun family activities that can be done without going into the city.  Jim

Central Park Zoo may be interesting for 3 and 5 yo kids.  The subway ride from 59 st to Canal st for China Town will absolutely be interesting and from there take a walk over Brooklyn Bridge and get a the Brooklyn Ice Cream place on Fulton St. Take up pretty much your whole day. 

You may or not want to hear this, but it’s the truth.

The city is not what it was, it’s not safe, and I would never bring children there with the way it is. I say this as someone who used to live a quick train ride into Manhattan, and would be in Manhattan on a regular basis. The way it currently is with no bail, the illegal immigrants, muggings, and theft, I don’t ever see myself going back. I wasn’t trying to make this a post for PG, I’m just saying if I had children I’d keep them away from that city right now.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

Ferries are a blast for kids. My daughter lives on 79th and we usually bop around on them with fantastic views. You can go from the Throgs Neck to Rockaway.

2024-spring_3302024.png

Edited by Brother Brian

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

The Highline in Manhattan can be fun. Search for NYC Highline and you should get to a map and description.

Starts at 34th by the Hudson and runs down to 14th street. 

Great views and a relatively easy walk.

Cost is zero.

From 14th the walk down Broadway to Canal and Chinatown is interesting.

3 mins ago, Caveman8 said:

The Highline in Manhattan can be fun. Search for NYC Highline and you should get to a map and description.

Starts at 34th by the Hudson and runs down to 14th street. 

Great views and a relatively easy walk.

Cost is zero.

From 14th the walk down Broadway to Canal and Chinatown is interesting.

This. And a visit to the NY Public Library.

Sadly I would have to agree with the above, for adults yeah I’d say go ahead but for young kids they will likely witness more negative than positive. city has changed and I haven’t been there since 2020 and can only imagine how much worse it is now. 

sorry just being honest 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Yeah a ferry ride sounds like a lot of fun for kids.

I'm sure they will get quickly bored of the indoor wave pool, waterslides, go carts, amusement park rides, indoor ski slope, ice skating, aquarium, miniature golf etc. at American Dream. 

Maybe you could wander around Central Park until you find a mime.

kids love mimes.

Edited by Jimichanga

if you're hitting the mall, chances are you wont have a full day. You already know parking is a pain.

For kids, Rockerfeller Center, Nintendo Store is around the area you could walk up to Central Park from there, a short hike if you dont want to spend the money on uber/cab.

Chinatown has changed since genterficiation/911, better of driving to flushing and to do a food crawl there. 

Honestly, I would hit up some pizza joints and get a proper NY slice.

Best way to take in the city is the hop on/off tours. 9/11 memorial is free, so is the staten island ferry ride.

9 mins ago, Jimichanga said:

Yeah a ferry ride sounds like a lot of fun for kids.

Hopefully it's as close a look at Rikers as they ever get :th:

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."