New 2024 Shimano Ocea Jigger LD 2500 MG HG

Rate this topic

EricL

A new release dropping soon. 

made in Japan. 
lever drag with 40lb max drag. 
comes with a lighter drag cam included for lighter lines. 

Finally, a proper Torsa 16 successor. 
with design bits from the Torsa and Talica. 

Power almost in the OJ4000 class.  Almost. But not quite there. Can’t beat physics or a bigger reel. 

very similar to a OJ3000 in capacity. 

holds 670m of PE3 30lb. 400m of PE5. 

I’m getting both MG and HG. 

Might be paired onto my Deepliner 55 #8, #10 or another heavy jigging rod. 

Another placeholder post.
I’ll update again when it drops and delivered into my hands. 

Edited by EricL

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

havent had any time to look...any schematics available.?

Dogs or ar clutch bearing....one of the reason why talicas were such work horses were the lack of bearings in favor of bushings...and dogs instead of a fragile one way bearing.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

havent had any time to look...any schematics available.?

Dogs or ar clutch bearing....one of the reason why talicas were such work horses were the lack of bearings in favor of bushings...and dogs instead of a fragile one way bearing.

i got you covered. Easy. 

IAR, single backup dog, bearings all over (plus and minus points), sleeved, caliper type!! (double drag plate), spool lock. Mid 5.7 and high 6.2 ratio flavors. 

it’s really a new design in a sense and not too directly relatable to the Torsa or the talica. But it definitely covers an open gap sizing in the current model line ups. 

It should crank like a Torsa 16, torsa/tiagra smooth drag, a more modernized styling from the talica (like the drag lever shape). And the dissimilar palm OJ side plate.

it’s a good OJ4000 replacement if class and capacity isn’t as critical, unless you needed the 4000 capacity, it won’t replace it. But saves a good bit of weigh, and smaller form factor. It if works for the application. 

FD7E76F8-8543-4F43-B8BF-35B86C8BAB7B.jpeg

4AA39F94-E805-4891-B7A6-369D1F2E31D4.jpeg

Edited by EricL

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wjtoggin said:

I held one today and let me tell you, it is definitely a sweet little reel

Was kicking myself after spooling up my 50s ($$$) I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger today 

Local shops have samples out already? Don’t know when’s the last time I actually walked into a BnT lol.  Especially since most nyc shops are kinda… crappy. 

Regardless, I preordered them when jdm shops started taking them. Got queued up awhile ago for first run jdm batches. 

Edited by EricL

11 hours ago, EricL said:

Local shops have samples out already? Don’t know when’s the last time I actually walked into a BnT lol.  Especially since most nyc shops are kinda… crappy. 

Regardless, I preordered them when jdm shops started taking them. Got queued up awhile ago for first run jdm batches. 

Yeah can't blame you there, we have quite a few decent shops in NJ, so I try to pop in and support those guys when I can.

If you don't mind me asking what's the price delta like on the jdm vs us lever drag oceas?

48 mins ago, wjtoggin said:

Yeah can't blame you there, we have quite a few decent shops in NJ, so I try to pop in and support those guys when I can.

If you don't mind me asking what's the price delta like on the jdm vs us lever drag oceas?

About 100 for me since I have someone order in store Japan with local tax. Buddy gets to test crank and select my reels before taking possession.  And upwards to 150 from international web shops. But those are random inventory grabs. 

I'm shocked this reel is priced at Talica IIA pricing.....It's nice and all...but it's not as refined as the star drags and it's a single speed.

Gonna tear one down...If I have my torsa teardown footage somewhere I'll reference that.   

For pete's sake..slap that handle and knob on the talicas......

Tims

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm shocked this reel is priced at Talica IIA pricing.....It's nice and all...but it's not as refined as the star drags and it's a single speed.

Gonna tear one down...If I have my torsa teardown footage somewhere I'll reference that.   

For pete's sake..slap that handle and knob on the talicas......

I think it’ll be pretty well refined. And yes the forged OJ handle is always nice. Lol

On 4/13/2024 at 7:49 AM, EricL said:

I think it’ll be pretty well refined. And yes the forged OJ handle is always nice. Lol

I already have it...it's not as refined as the ocea jigger star drags and saltiga star drags I own.

The aforementioned star drags feel hydraulic.....you feel the gearing in the LD.

It'll run in and get a little better but nothing like the star drags.

For a 600$ single speed from shimano...I was hoping for it to be S tier.

Keep in mind..it's the same price as the two speed talica 16IIA....

Tims

10 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I already have it...it's not as refined as the ocea jigger star drags and saltiga star drags I own.

The aforementioned star drags feel hydraulic.....you feel the gearing in the LD.

It'll run in and get a little better but nothing like the star drags.

For a 600$ single speed from shimano...I was hoping for it to be S tier.

Keep in mind..it's the same price as the two speed talica 16IIA....

Well I hope the jdm first run batches are assembled better than the export batches. :) 

and yea I know it’s hard to beat the smoothness of the current (literally feels like oil like you said, my reels all run silent and butter 15-35N, 1000-4000, and older Z star drags. I have all of them.  And used most of the Saltiga spinners and Stellas. My Saltiga LDs do have an extremely minor geary feel (but still very smooth) but they are steel instead of forged brass. They need to be run in more. My old torsas were also not buttery but over time it smoothed out very nice. 

you can try to rotate the pinion a few teeth over and see if it mates to the main better. Otherwise, you might have to just run it in.  Maybe deep drop a 10lb weight a few hundred ft a couple of times. :laugh: