Interesting wildlife weekend

Rate this topic

Saturday while walking to the beach through some woods in the nearly dark morning light, I got hit in the head by what I believe was a Barred Owl. I had heard them in the parking area while putting my gear on.

Jerked my head forward and popped my hat off. No positive ID other than seeing something flying away. I have a big melon, so an easy target.

Yesterday while fishing, I had a river otter pop up right in front of me. We’ve had a few people get attacked by them up here, so I stepped out of the water. It finally took off after checking me out a few times. About 15 minutes later, I see something brown in the water right next to shore heading directly for me. I got out of the water again expecting it to be an otter, but it turned out to be a small beaver. Pretty cool encounter. Only the second beaver I’ve seen in saltwater after fishing Puget Sound for 60+ years.

SF

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6919.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6925.jpeg

>>Saturday while walking to the beach through some woods in the nearly dark morning light, I got hit in the head by what I believe was a Barred Owl.

This is why I always wear a football helmet while fishing. And shoulder pads. 

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Linesideslayer said:

Nice Salty Beaver! Those otter attacks apparently are no joke, don't turn your back on the water Stonefish. 

OtterAttack.webp.9a981c34decaae72b552cfb16b3b9943.webp

Yep, I don’t trust them. One beach I fish has a family of seven living near it. I always get out of the water.

A lady and her grandson got chewed up pretty good up a while back.

SF

IMG_7119.jpeg

One other interesting fact on river otters is how far they’ll travel over land.

I have a buddy who lives a good distance from the nearest water.

He has captured river otters on his security cameras several times over the past few years moving through his property.

I found a dead one on a road that had been hit by a vehicle also a good distance from the water.

SF

• 2 weeks later...
30 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

I just picture this river otter propelling itself out of the water and onto your face while your fishing like something out of a movie

image.png.f20238f08a27641044fb3d43e982ffab.png

Similar to the rabbit in The Holy Grail… :D:D

SF