Balloons

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

I grew up swimming off Nauset.  I still at my age am a pretty good swimmer.  I never go out on the yak without wearing a PFD.  Never.

I figure when you are swimming while wearing a PFD you probably look like a Jitterbug to the great whites :idea: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

9 mins ago, TimS said:

I figure when you are swimming while wearing a PFD you probably look like a Jitterbug to the great whites :idea: 

My wife thought this was hilarious!   (After I explained what a Jitterbug was).

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

4 hours ago, TimS said:

I agree...except anything you peddle versus paddle you have to multiply your fish times .635 to compare them to fish caught by guys that paddle :read:  If you caught them on flies, even if you peddle, you can multiply by .830....if you used bait, it's a simple .500....and if you caught them trolling in your peddle kayak they are back to not counting at all :dismay: 

Excellent!

FriendlyFIshemen to follow up with what you originally asked in regards to using balloons for striped bass fishing . AS you know turtles will en jest them thinking that they are  Jelly fish of some sort.

It can be said that the majority of those balloons are the one that they fill with helium and are used by some one celebrating some sort of a occasion and let them go from some beach some where and as the helium leaked from the balloon it settles on the surface where the turtles think they are live jelly fish as the balloon is still partially filled giving that appearance to the turtle.  

The balloons I used were ones that were long and slender and in all of the years I used them I never had one that was discarded into the water after I had used it.    I also would place a light stick inside which gave of a green iridescence color that also made it more possible to see where it was floating during the stealth times we used them.    I liked to use them around the rock piles with eels at night to keep the eels from swimming into the open rip rap , but keep them close to the rock formation as I could. Or on an East current change in the canal or a west current allow the balloon to take the eel  out into the channel when we could. [Not on Spinning gear, but conventional] Depending upon how deep you tied off the balloon depended upon how far you could reel back the line with a fish of size on it. When we used it from the beach at night we did not need to have the drop as long as when we fished it from the jetties for what ever reason. If you spent time learning how to tie the balloon around the line it could be moved inside the knot with out breaking it , but once you got inside the tip guide for what ever reason you could break  it in the tip , reel it down to the reel and remove the light stick , reel the balloon around the spool and after you got the fish off remove and replace with another one. It was nice to be able to see a fish of size take the balloon for a ride at night .   The long slender ones also used  any wind you had to able it to obtain what ever distance you wanted, depending upon how much line you had on the reel . When I could take advantage of the current and the wind I often would let it take the line almost to the bottom of the spool , before beginning to reel it back a little at a time . The eel in some cases would come to the surface and cause a commotion  which at times would invoke a tremendous strike . Hope this helps to answer your question Peace and Prayers    

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

FriendlyFIshemen to follow up with what you originally asked in regards to using balloons for striped bass fishing . AS you know turtles will en jest them thinking that they are  Jelly fish of some sort.

It can be said that the majority of those balloons are the one that they fill with helium and are used by some one celebrating some sort of a occasion and let them go from some beach some where and as the helium leaked from the balloon it settles on the surface where the turtles think they are live jelly fish as the balloon is still partially filled giving that appearance to the turtle.  

The balloons I used were ones that were long and slender and in all of the years I used them I never had one that was discarded into the water after I had used it.    I also would place a light stick inside which gave of a green iridescence color that also made it more possible to see where it was floating during the stealth times we used them.    I liked to use them around the rock piles with eels at night to keep the eels from swimming into the open rip rap , but keep them close to the rock formation as I could. Or on an East current change in the canal or a west current allow the balloon to take the eel  out into the channel when we could. [Not on Spinning gear, but conventional] Depending upon how deep you tied off the balloon depended upon how far you could reel back the line with a fish of size on it. When we used it from the beach at night we did not need to have the drop as long as when we fished it from the jetties for what ever reason. If you spent time learning how to tie the balloon around the line it could be moved inside the knot with out breaking it , but once you got inside the tip guide for what ever reason you could break  it in the tip , reel it down to the reel and remove the light stick , reel the balloon around the spool and after you got the fish off remove and replace with another one. It was nice to be able to see a fish of size take the balloon for a ride at night .   The long slender ones also used  any wind you had to able it to obtain what ever distance you wanted, depending upon how much line you had on the reel . When I could take advantage of the current and the wind I often would let it take the line almost to the bottom of the spool , before beginning to reel it back a little at a time . The eel in some cases would come to the surface and cause a commotion  which at times would invoke a tremendous strike . Hope this helps to answer your question Peace and Prayers    

Thanks for the reply. This is helpful info. Cheers 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, TimS said:

I was thinking more like a Crazy Crawler. 

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

12 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

FriendlyFIshemen to follow up with what you…….    I liked to use them around the rock piles with eels at night to keep the eels from swimming into the open rip rap , but keep them close to the rock formation as I could. ……

^^^^^^^^^^This :th:

19 hours ago, Boston83 said:

I typically use these, I've had some success while drifting around inlets.

S300 RIGS | redirig

Decades ago I used those. Baseball to softball sizes. I'd hang a bunch of seaworms below the float and let it drift out slowly on a current. Worked well in rivers but you need real estate to keep guys from casting over you. Back then there were far less ppl fishing than now. May be more practical from a boat.

Pfantum Pfishah