Balloons

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

If you REALLY want to be honest, the only fish that should count are those caught from a kayak!   

Any lazy SOB can sit on the beach soaking a chunk while he drinks his Bud Lite.  In between yelling at the wife and helping his kid build a sand castle, he may waddle out from under his umbrella and luck into a fish now and then.

Boats guys are almost as bad.  Out there on the SS Minnow, dressed to the nines in their sailors cap, ascot, and smoking jacket, waiting for Lovey to mix another Cosmo.   Secretly fearful that if they do catch something, it will soil the deck with slime or blood.  Oh the horrors!!!!! 

Now kayak guys are real men, dragging there man powered craft to the water with only the brawn God gave them.  Making their way thru surf and gales, to fight the demons of the sea mano o fisho.   After a long day facing the elements, he returns from the sea, providing sustenance for his patiently waiting woman, who will prepare the provided feast over a roaring fire.

It's a boat. 

48 mins ago, TimS said:

I agree...except anything you peddle versus paddle you have to multiply your fish times .635 to compare them to fish caught by guys that paddle :read:  If you caught them on flies, even if you peddle, you can multiply by .830....if you used bait, it's a simple .500....and if you caught them trolling in your peddle kayak they are back to not counting at all :dismay: 

Where did you get those numbers for this formula   I like. But a boat is a boat. Lol 

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Sitting with my ass In a puddle of water while boats and waves try to swamp me, all my rods and gear piled up around my ears and pulling large spiney fish with big treble hooks into my lap is not my idea of fun. Plus I get a back ache just looking at those seats.

I just bring a fly rod with me on the kayak, couple boxes of flies and some leader...nothing with treble hooks...I like to keep it very simple at night :) 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

50 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Back when I didn't know any better, and hardly anyone was fishing for bass in the late 1980s, I used them for live lining herring at the Run. Now I know better-don't use balloons.

All the tuna guys still use them around here...regular old balloons, none of that biodegradable stuff :eek: Using them for bass was never a thing around here...other than cork floats for sandworms in the spring...but never for live lining swimming things :) 

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

12 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

I have a good fishing buddy who says every albie caught on a fly counts for 7 caught on spin!  I very politely tell him he is full of ****!   He fishes (and charters) from a boat so Im not sure what the offset would be equating a fly caught boat fish to a spin caught yak fish.  Need an abacus for that one.

Fly rod albies are a bit of a conundrum - they are much easier to fool on flies...but much easier to reach with spinning gear. From a level playing field, I could see my a 2.5 to 1 ratio...now albies on flies from shore...that's where things get interesting :beers: 

12 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Where did you get those numbers for this formula   I like. But a boat is a boat. Lol 

You think a 30ft center console that cruises at 50mph is equal to a 13' kayak you have to paddle? Just the amount of gear one can carry versus the other makes them quite dissimilar :) Never mind the range...or time it takes to get anywhere...or electronics. Yes, it's still floating on the water...but that's about where the similarities end :)

13 mins ago, Kones1 said:

It's a boat. 

Technically you are correct.   Note the definition.  

The word Kayak (ki ak), meaning “man-boat” in Eskimo

Which may explain why some of you choose not to use one.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Balloons were used cause they were cheap and easy. Mainly to float a bait away from the boat or shore if winds were in the right direction.

https://www.3dfishingproducts.com/

I use these ultimate floats to make baits neutral bouyance with different bottles..  worked well. Plus re rigging I did not have to tend with bits of left over balloons.

They would sail just as good as the balloons.  Lately I have been playing around with planers to get baits on different drift positions. 

My favorite float is an oversized rubber tub ducky... 

11 mins ago, TimS said:

Fly rod albies are a bit of a conundrum - they are much easier to fool on flies...but much easier to reach with spinning gear. From a level playing field, I could see my a 2.5 to 1 ratio...now albies on flies from shore...that's where things get interesting :beers: 

A spinning rod with a clear casting egg and a fly can be absolutely deadly at times.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

10 mins ago, TimS said:

You think a 30ft center console that cruises at 50mph is equal to a 13' kayak you have to paddle? Just the amount of gear one can carry versus the other makes them quite dissimilar :) Never mind the range...or time it takes to get anywhere...or electronics. Yes, it's still floating on the water...but that's about where the similarities end :)

A paddle board is a vessel too per the CG

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

A paddle board is a vessel too per the CG

And if you're in water deeper than you can stand in, you must wear a PFD.  I used to hate enforcing that reg, but it was for their own good.

Once brought aboard a father and daughter paddle boarding.  They were about a mile offshore. Father was standing and paddling, 7 year old daughter was sitting cross legged in the front.  Neither had on a PFD, nor did that have any in possession.   Father was furious that I insisted they abort their trip, and bring them back to the dock.  No matter how I tried to convince him, he thought he was doing nothing wrong.

The Sultan of Sluggo

A boat is a boat Tim. Standing on the sand casting and walking at night is my way. But I love busting balls and watching the show so :

boat fish don't count , bait fish don't count and canal fish don't count. Been there done that. 

Just now, bob_G said:

And if you're in water deeper than you can stand in, you must wear a PFD.  I used to hate enforcing that reg, but it was for their own good.

Once brought aboard a father and daughter paddle boarding.  They were about a mile offshore. Father was standing and paddling, 7 year old daughter was sitting cross legged in the front.  Neither had on a PFD, nor did that have any in possession.   Father was furious that I insisted they abort their trip, and bring them back to the dock.  No matter how I tried to convince him, he thought he was doing nothing wrong.

I grew up swimming off Nauset.  I still at my age am a pretty good swimmer.  I never go out on the yak without wearing a PFD.  Never.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

That's an odd law...usually water depth doesn't come into play with PFD laws...I like that they were at least trying to make a reasonable law. In NJ it makes no difference how deep the water is, it's not a consideration.