Balloons

Rate this topic

30 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Beach fishing more challenging but boat fish still count.  No different then the fly guys saying spinfish don't count or the canal doesnt count . Whatever makes people feel what they are doing is superior.  Who cares

You can tell you don't care  :) 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

If you REALLY want to be honest, the only fish that should count are those caught from a kayak!   

Any lazy SOB can sit on the beach soaking a chunk while he drinks his Bud Lite.  In between yelling at the wife and helping his kid build a sand castle, he may waddle out from under his umbrella and luck into a fish now and then.

Boats guys are almost as bad.  Out there on the SS Minnow, dressed to the nines in their sailors cap, ascot, and smoking jacket, waiting for Lovey to mix another Cosmo.   Secretly fearful that if they do catch something, it will soil the deck with slime or blood.  Oh the horrors!!!!! 

Now kayak guys are real men, dragging there man powered craft to the water with only the brawn God gave them.  Making their way thru surf and gales, to fight the demons of the sea mano o fisho.   After a long day facing the elements, he returns from the sea, providing sustenance for his patiently waiting woman, who will prepare the provided feast over a roaring fire.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

12 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

If you REALLY want to be honest, the only fish that should count are those caught from a kayak!   

Any lazy SOB can sit on the beach soaking a chunk while he drinks his Bud Lite.  In between yelling at the wife and helping his kid build a sand castle, he may waddle out from under his umbrella and luck into a fish now and then.

Boats guys are almost as bad.  Out there on the SS Minnow, dressed to the nines in their sailors cap, ascot, and smoking jacket, waiting for Lovey to mix another Cosmo.   Secretly fearful that if they do catch something, it will soil the deck with slime or blood.  Oh the horrors!!!!! 

Now kayak guys are real men, dragging there man powered craft to the water with only the brawn God gave them.  Making their way thru surf and gales, to fight the demons of the sea mano o fisho.   After a long day facing the elements, he returns from the sea, providing sustenance for his patiently waiting woman, who will prepare the provided feast over a roaring fire.

Oh, that rules me out then. I won't ever be that guy soaking bait from a lawn chair but it's equally likely I won't ever again fish from a kayak. 

Sitting with my ass In a puddle of water while boats and waves try to swamp me, all my rods and gear piled up around my ears and pulling large spiney fish with big treble hooks into my lap is not my idea of fun. Plus I get a back ache just looking at those seats.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Correct...it's always funny to see who it really matters to :laugh: Some folks get so angry and want to argue and fight...those are the guys people say "boat fish don't count" for :stick: Nobody else really cares...

exactly.....since when did people start taking this seriously?

Back on topic, I've used balloons, and have seen others use balloons.  I like it when I'm fishing around moorings or docks with live macs so I know where my bait is. Also used them to keep dead bait off the bottom and away from the crabs when soaking. I'm not a big fan of putting my hands near my mouth after handling fish or bait though so I prefer to use a bobber.

2 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Now kayak guys are real men, dragging there man powered craft to the water with only the brawn God gave them.

I agree...except anything you peddle versus paddle you have to multiply your fish times .635 to compare them to fish caught by guys that paddle :read:  If you caught them on flies, even if you peddle, you can multiply by .830....if you used bait, it's a simple .500....and if you caught them trolling in your peddle kayak they are back to not counting at all :dismay: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Back when I didn't know any better, and hardly anyone was fishing for bass in the late 1980s, I used them for live lining herring at the Run. Now I know better-don't use balloons.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

back in another time I wrote an article about using a balloon with live eels for bass around the jetties. It was done at night with a light stick inside so we could see where the balloon was going. We also used them with herring inside the canal on occasion . When the bass took the balloon under the water we stuck it and reeled it up . The balloon was the long type used to make animal characters. If the balloon did not break it would break when we reeled the line through the guides . The balloons were placed in my pockets after they broke and tossed in the trash barrel at the end of the night.  WE also often would use them at night along the beach front with great success , especially on the beaches that had drop off in close. WE had to have the wind at our back to have them get out to where the fish were hunting. Understanding that balloons are a detriment to turtles if they are carelessly discarded as you fish is a matter of not caring for how you used them is another whole discussion and If I was still experimenting with the way I once did to fish I would have no reason to not use a balloon , especially when hunting for bass and using live eels, especially around the jetties and groins along a beach. Being careful on how and what you do is all it takes . Peace and Prayers   

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

41 mins ago, TimS said:

I agree...except anything you peddle versus paddle you have to multiply your fish times .635 to compare them to fish caught by guys that paddle :read:  If you caught them on flies, even if you peddle, you can multiply by .830....if you used bait, it's a simple .500....and if you caught them trolling in your peddle kayak they are back to not counting at all :dismay: 

Would need a lot of smart juice to do the math required when you start ciphering out to 3 digits!   I run out of fingers and its too cold to use my toes.

I have a good fishing buddy who says every albie caught on a fly counts for 7 caught on spin!  I very politely tell him he is full of ****!   He fishes (and charters) from a boat so Im not sure what the offset would be equating a fly caught boat fish to a spin caught yak fish.  Need an abacus for that one.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?