Balloons

Rate this topic

21 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Also.  People who say boat fish don't count.....don't own a boat.  I would say charter fish don't count.  All you do is turn the reel on charters no skill required by the paying party.

Really depends on how you choose to fish.    Trolling, pretty much just sit down and reel.  For a successful top water trip you need guys that can throw a plug.   

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I rarely got skunked when I had boat fishing opportunities, years ago I owned 3 different boats.   Fishing and throwing lures from the beach is an entirely different thing and have had many skunkings. More challenging for many reasons.  

44 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Really depends on how you choose to fish.    Trolling, pretty much just sit down and reel.  For a successful top water trip you need guys that can throw a plug.   

I interpret the "boat fish don't count" as being mostly just a joke but based on this being a group that is heavily weighted towards surf casting. 

Surf casting is a very specific type of fishing that requires guys be in decent physical shape, not afraid of the dark and able to read the water and catch in difficult and often physically challenging conditions. 

Boat fishing requires a guy has a credit card and access to the internet. He doesn't need to be in shape or learn how to read the water or really know much at all to succeed. It is comparatively easier and less challenging than surf casting. Obviously that is generalized and simplified. 

I really doubt any shore based fishermen would ever say no to an invite to fish from a boat. The obvious advantages of mobility and access to a greater range of locations is a good reason to get out on a boat.

As far as bait goes, stripers and blues are probably the two easiest fish to catch on artificial lures. Using bait is not necessary and often the fall back position for guys who don't have the skills or who just want to kill fish.

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

I agree.  I see guys jiggin wire all day thinking they did something special.  I would rather stay home then do that for fun.  But yes the small boat guides that put in the effort make the party into more of an angler.  Hardest part about fishing is finding the fish not throwing the plug into a feed.

43 mins ago, Kones1 said:

I rarely got skunked when I had boat fishing opportunities, years ago I owned 3 different boats.   Fishing and throwing lures from the beach is an entirely different thing and have had many skunkings. More challenging for many reasons.  

Funny, skunkings don't bother me at all.  Not in the least.  I'm just happy that I still get to go.

For me it's all about the process.  When I can enjoy myself alone, or with a buddy.  Not getting bushwhacked by ebikes yahoos. No arguments, or turf wars. Nice quiet night. Coming home tired at 3am. What's not to like? Catching a fish would be the frosting on the cake.

The Sultan of Sluggo

48 mins ago, Kones1 said:

I also agree with this.  Beach fishing more challenging but boat fish still count.  No different then the fly guys saying spinfish don't count or the canal doesnt count . Whatever makes people feel what they are doing is superior.  Who cares

13 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I interpret the "boat fish don't count" as being mostly just a joke but based on this being a group that is heavily weighted towards surf casting. 

Surf casting is a very specific type of fishing that requires guys be in decent physical shape, not afraid of the dark and able to read the water and catch in difficult and often physically challenging conditions. 

Boat fishing requires a guy has a credit card and access to the internet. He doesn't need to be in shape or learn how to read the water or really know much at all to succeed. It is comparatively easier and less challenging than surf casting. Obviously that is generalized and simplified. 

I really doubt any shore based fishermen would ever say no to an invite to fish from a boat. The obvious advantages of mobility and access to a greater range of locations is a good reason to get out on a boat.

As far as bait goes, stripers and blues are probably the two easiest fish to catch on artificial lures. Using bait is not necessary and often the fall back position for guys who don't have the skills or who just want to kill fish.

Plenty of Fat Bastards soaking bait on the beaches creaming them.  You do not need to be in shape lol

1 min ago, FoulHooker said:

I also agree with this.  Beach fishing more challenging but boat fish still count.  No different then the fly guys saying spinfish don't count or the canal doesnt count . Whatever makes people feel what they are doing is superior.  Who cares

It's actually the other way around - the only folks that care are the ones in the boats that need their fish to count...the guys on shore or the guys throwing flies only care that it bothers the insecure guys bass fishing from boats or livelining bunker  :beers:  And it's only bass that don't count from boats, none of the other critters are as readily available from shore :read: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

17 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I interpret the "boat fish don't count" as being mostly just a joke

Correct...it's always funny to see who it really matters to :laugh: Some folks get so angry and want to argue and fight...those are the guys people say "boat fish don't count" for :stick: Nobody else really cares...

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Just now, TimS said:

It's actually the other way around - the only folks that care are the ones in the boats that need their fish to count...the guys on shore or the guys throwing flies only care that it bothers the insecure guys bass fishing from boats or livelining bunker  :beers:  And it's only bass that don't count from boats, none of the other critters are as readily available from shore :read: 

Yup.  Whatever makes you feel better.  I certainly don't care if someone feels better about where or how they caught there fish.  If it was artifcial, bait, boat, shore, canal. I could care less.  A fish is a fish however it makes you happy. 

Some of it comes down to labels.

I personally don't count the guys in lawn chairs soaking bait as surf casters. Those are the guys who would be out in a boat if they had the money. Although they are casting into the surf so they probably imagine themselves surf casters.

Ultimately though it is all striper fishing and it all counts, even if you get skunked, which I often do.

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Some of it comes down to labels.

I personally don't count the guys in lawn chairs soaking bait as surf casters. Those are the guys who would be out in a boat if they had the money. Although they are casting into the surf so they probably imagine themselves surf casters.

Ultimately though it is all striper fishing and it all counts, even if you get skunked, which I often do.

True.  Its the same difference as catching trout on spoons, flies or powerbait.  Who cares

19 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Yup.  Whatever makes you feel better.  I certainly don't care if someone feels better about where or how they caught there fish.  If it was artifcial, bait, boat, shore, canal. I could care less.  A fish is a fish however it makes you happy. 

It makes me feel better watching people freak out when you say 'boat fish don't count'. I honestly don't care what people think about how or where I fish, which is why it's so funny to watch people go nuts when they hear 'boat fish don't count' :laugh: I've caught plenty of fish from boats, I don't care if anyone thinks they count or not...I won't bass fish from a boat, but that's a personal thing....but I will never get tired of watching people argue about how their fish do count :laugh: Who cares? Count for what? As long as you are having fun the way you want, why would you care what anyone else thinks? That's what makes it funny....