Balloons

Rate this topic

I didn’t see any, but are there any regs against using balloons while fishing for stripers? Do people ever do this? Would it be worth a shot? I’ve seen it done in other parts of country for different species but was curious in striper application. Obviously if so would want to ensure you’re using biodegradable materials. Thanks in advance for any relevant info or experiences 

4 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I've done it once with friends drifting chunks in the elizabeths.  We didn't catch any that day.
There aren't any regs against it.

Are there biodegradable balloons?

Yea there are - or rather, that’s at least how they are marketed. I dont know enough about them to be honest but 

Don't use balloons! :dismay:  Sea animals like turtles, sea birds, dolphins eats deflated balloons thinking they're squid or jellyfish.  It completely clogged their digestive systems.

All the advancements that have been made in the fishing industry, and people are still messing around with balloons.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Why do you want to use a balloon ? Usually they are used to keep a large bait up , like a 8 lb bluefish for a bluefin  tuna. A kite can be used as well , but for a striper  ? A bopper , you know the red and white thing ? That's all you need for a striper bait but lures are even better. No bait. Bait fish don't count as well as boat fish so there's that. Throw wood. 

6 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Why do you want to use a balloon ? Usually they are used to keep a large bait up , like a 8 lb bluefish for a bluefin  tuna. A kite can be used as well , but for a striper  ? A bopper , you know the red and white thing ? That's all you need for a striper bait but lures are even better. No bait. Bait fish don't count as well as boat fish so there's that. Throw wood. 

I do agree that that for the most part bait fish don’t count.  Just curious if anyone had tried the method 

2 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Tuna 

Yea makes sense for bigger baits. I was just curious more for the extra drift or push from the wind  that you might benefit from even when using a smaller bait. Figured the big surface area would push bait around easier if conditions were cooperating 

I used to use them..... There are now styrofoam bobbers that are about the size of Christmas tree ornaments which I and everyone else around here now uses painted a fluorescent red or chartreuse ....

They cost about a buck apiece........

Edited by unskunk
spellink

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

Don't use balloons! :dismay:  Sea animals like turtles, sea birds, dolphins eats deflated balloons thinking they're squid or jellyfish.  It completely clogged their digestive systems.

All the advancements that have been made in the fishing industry, and people are still messing around with balloons.

This!!  I ****ing hate balloons!!

Get a 2oz casting egg. It'll drift a chunk. 

Also don't fall for the bait/boat fish don't count bs.  It's just a circle jerk made to justify plugs that cost $$$.    You still need to put in the work and find the spots, Tides, etc.  

Edited by PSeggs

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

to be fair tho, when the balloon pops, it still stays on the line (or snap swivel)

It is the FISHERMAN that takes it off of the line and throws it in the water with all the rest of his discarded trash !!!!..............