New Rover by Kastking,,,,,,

Rate this topic

I’ve owned several Kastking reels over the years and every one of them crapped out after about a year. They work pretty good in the beginning and do the job well but they don’t last. I know my around a reel and service all my Abu’s but couldn’t seem to fix any of the Kastkings. I won’t buy another one 

46 mins ago, Fishit 2 said:

I’ve owned several Kastking reels over the years and every one of them crapped out after about a year. They work pretty good in the beginning and do the job well but they don’t last. I know my around a reel and service all my Abu’s but couldn’t seem to fix any of the Kastkings. I won’t buy another one 

I think for what they’re selling for, no one should be expecting a lifetime product.

If you can get a couple of seasons from it with minimal care, I think it’s still a win.

I wouldn’t expect parts to be available but it’s my understanding that KastKing has good customer service.

I

4 hours ago, Skin said:

3x10x4 bearings? My rh 60 arrives today for no real reason lol.

Here are the bearing sizes of the 60 RED rover. They might have upgraded or changed in the newer black model, but doubtful.

as I mentioned, some bearings are not serviceable. The smallest one and the bigger one (that works with the handle- not effected by casting) not a big deal, you can buy new bearings for a few bucks. this reel uses 2 different size spool bearings (the 2 smaller ones) the other bigger one is the IAR bearing. 

9013D23B-4B29-47DB-A89D-E04241EB5360.jpeg.ef1895cf5735cceb7eef0e5da8f2f1f5.jpeg

20 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

I have to say that after spooling the reel and putting it on a rod, the odd shaped thumb bar feels more natural than it looks just out of the box.

20240402_112055.jpg

Glad that you and other are liking this reel!

As I mentioned, the thumb bar is very comfortable and it makes it easy to just let a little line out without using 2 hands and over running the reel (if that makes sense) 

for the price, the Rover is one of my favorite reel… with a bit of maintenance - I don’t see why this reel wouldn’t last years to come. As HH has alluded too- if you take care of your reels they will last longer too! 

also, as I mentioned before- you may want to plan to clean and re-grease the reel within a year. The grease that they use is ok, but I found it doesnt hold up in cold (below 38 degree) weather well… again- for the price of the reel you can’t complain! I have had other more expensive reels come with the tiniest bit of grease on them… 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:25 AM, slicedcornbread said:

I have to say that after spooling the reel and putting it on a rod, the odd shaped thumb bar feels more natural than it looks just out of the box.

3 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Here are the bearing sizes of the 60 RED rover. They might have upgraded or changed in the newer black model, but doubtful.

How are folks fishing with these?  Actually casting baits? Trolling?

3 mins ago, cbinvb said:

Can't speak for others, but I don't troll. I'll be casting baits, dropping jigs and rigs for Stripers, Blues, Fluke, Black Sea Bass, Tog, etc. A little bit of everything for inshore fish. The 60 series reel that I just bought is my first Kast King and I'll be putting it to the test very soon. I have beefier reels for deeper water service such as a couple of Saltiga's and the like. 

1 hour ago, cbinvb said:

I use them for surfcasting and also fishing in the rivers/inlets. They cast really well- alsoThe LDP method that HH taught me- letting the current of the river/inlet take the plug out really far and slowly reeling it in. I’m the summer with my kids I use them for bait fishing off the beach. BTW- these reels have a MUCH MUCH stronger line clicker then any other reel I have… and if I fished from a boat I would also use it for trolling or bottom jigging… but I have no boat! 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

3 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I use them for surfcasting and also fishing in the rivers/inlets. They cast really well- alsoThe LDP method that HH taught me- letting the current of the river/inlet take the plug out really far and slowly reeling it in. I’m the summer with my kids I use them for bait fishing off the beach. BTW- these reels have a MUCH MUCH stronger line clicker then any other reel I have… and if I fished from a boat I would also use it for trolling or bottom jigging… but I have no boat! 

I actually prefer a smoother quiter clicker for bass, but won't be chinking with this reel so not concerned.

2 hours ago, cbinvb said:

Do you remove the levelwind for casting?

Yes, easy…  but if your looking for that kind of performance- you should probably invest in new spool bearings too… it casts pretty good with the levelwind tho