New Rover by Kastking,,,,,,

Rate this topic

Okay, as promised, my initial thoughts; 

This 60 series Rover is pretty well made for the money. Final cost after Amazon's 30% off coupon and MA sales tax was $45.36.

I'm not gonna pretend that this is a Saltiga, Ocea Jigger, or any others in the list of top of the food chain reels. But an inshore reel for BSB, Fluke, Scup, and yes, even Stripers is a perfect application for this reel.

I consider ABU Garcia's the standard for these copies. Initially, I would say aside from a few minor details, this reel is every bit as good. On the plus side, the asthetics are quite nice with a very comfortable power handle. A minor con might be the spool tension knobs I find to be a bit on the small side. The knob under the star drag adjuster is hard for me to get my sausage fingers under to adjust. The jury is still out on the odd shaped free spool lever and the reel foot that is riveted on instead of welded. The spool seems deeper and a tad wider than a 6500 ABU. The drag feels extremely nice and very strong. Better than ABU? Yes, I believe it could be. It also came with a felt reel bag, schematics and stickers to record the date, type of line, and the # test.

Again, for what I paid, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Some pics for the pic hounds. :laugh:

20240401_124752.jpg

20240401_124852.jpg

20240401_124937.jpg

20240401_125003.jpg

20240401_124902.jpg

20240401_124914.jpg

20240401_124925.jpg

20240401_124949.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

Okay, as promised, my initial thoughts; 

This 60 series Rover is pretty well made for the money. Final cost after Amazon's 30% off coupon and MA sales tax was $45.36.

I'm not gonna pretend that this is a Saltiga, Ocea Jigger, or any others in the list of top of the food chain reels. But an inshore reel for BSB, Fluke, Scup, and yes, even Stripers is a perfect application for this reel.

I consider ABU Garcia's the standard for these copies. Initially, I would say aside from a few minor details, this reel is every bit as good. On the plus side, the asthetics are quite nice with a very comfortable power handle. A minor con might be the spool tension knobs I find to be a bit on the small side. The knob under the star drag adjuster is hard for me to get my sausage fingers under to adjust. The jury is still out on the odd shaped free spool lever and the reel foot that is riveted on instead of welded. The spool seems deeper and a tad wider than a 6500 ABU. The drag feels extremely nice and very strong. Better than ABU? Yes, I believe it could be. It also came with a felt reel bag, schematics and stickers to record the date, type of line, and the # test.

Again, for what I paid, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Some pics for the pic hounds. :laugh:

20240401_124752.jpg

20240401_124852.jpg

20240401_124937.jpg

20240401_125003.jpg

20240401_124902.jpg

20240401_124914.jpg

20240401_124925.jpg

20240401_124949.jpg

Very good,,, looks great.

I would have bought one in the near future but, I don't like that thumb bar.

I did try out a ming yang that had that style bar, didn't feel solid like the older CL series.

What's your thought/feeling on the thumb bar?

I'm either going for the allijoz or a ming yang CL-70a, I already have 3 60 series and 2 70 series.

If you can check, the ming yang 60 holds 210 yards of 20 mono. 

I'm sure yours holds the same. 

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Very good,,, looks great.

I would have bought one in the near future but, I don't like that thumb bar.

I did try out a ming yang that had that style bar, didn't feel solid like the older CL series.

What's your thought/feeling on the thumb bar?

I'm either going for the allijoz or a ming yang CL-70a, I already have e 60 series and 2 70 series.

If you can check, the ming yang 60 holds 210 yards of 20 mono. 

HH

The thumb bar feels solid enough when actuated. It's the shape that has me questioning the feel. I would have preferred it being straight across. But as I stated, I'll reserve judgement until I put the reel to use. 

I've checked out the Allijoz before. It's definitely interesting, but I already have a 300 and 400 Daiwa Lexa's and really like them.

The Rover 60 also holds 210 yds of 20# mono. 

One more comment on aesthetics, I could definitely do without too much printing on the reel. I get the want their name and model on the reel, but I would have liked to not have "Baitcasting Reel" and the gear ratio in bold lettering on the top of the side plates.

And one more comment on mechanical features, The clicker (if that's important to anyone) is very nice. It's loud without being obnoxiously loud.

On the thumb bar spool release how does it work? push forward or down to release the spool, l had a reel with a push down spool release it was fast to re cast no button to push l have to look to see if l still have it.

14 mins ago, LB said:

On the thumb bar spool release how does it work? push forward or down to release the spool, l had a reel with a push down spool release it was fast to re cast no button to push l have to look to see if l still have it.

Push downward to free spool.

1 hour ago, slicedcornbread said:

The thumb bar feels solid enough when actuated. It's the shape that has me questioning the feel. I would have preferred it being straight across. But as I stated, I'll reserve judgement until I put the reel to use. 

I've checked out the Allijoz before. It's definitely interesting, but I already have a 300 and 400 Daiwa Lexa's and really like them.

Okay, that's my feeling on the thumb bar.

Although I'm a boy scout and I can adapt, maybe I'll get a 70 by fall anyway.

HH

1 hour ago, slicedcornbread said:

You'll have a good time with it, let us know how you like it after you get it wet.

HH

18 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Okay, that's my feeling on the thumb bar.

Although I'm a boy scout and I can adapt, maybe I'll get a 70 by fall anyway.

HH

I noticed that the 70 has the thumb push button just like the 7000 series ABU's have on the side plate.

Ditto on the Boy Scout and throw in retired military vet. I trust I'll adapt and over come as well. :laugh: :wave:

7 mins ago, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

To further sweeten the pot Amazon just added another 5% coupon on top of the 30% promo code. Just make sure you click on both if you order one. Makes the 6000 size $42 total for me.

image.png.52ad3c5cae51837a1e1f2e0fb26736a3.png

Yep. That's what mine came to, then sales tax was added bringing it to $45. Good deal. 

As far as the thumb bar goes, I had the initial same thoughts… I bought a Ming yang MC600 a while back that had the thumb bar- and I gotta say that I actually like it! So I have 3 reels with the thumb bar and havnt had any issues. At first I had reservations about it too- but after using it I really like it. And the shape actually makes it more comfortable!
 And @Heavy Hooksetter I’m pretty sure the 70 series has the button, like the cl70 - which, I’m just guessin, is the size you would like! 

as far as the tension knobs @slicedcornbread   This is just my thoughts -  I actually prefer a style reel with 2 tension knobs. A lot of the newer reels have just 1, like the newer Garcia 6k reels- and you would adjust the spool tension with the one under the star drag… please pardon me if you already know this-  but with this style, it’s kinda a older style, you basically use the knob by the handle and star drag to center the spool (left to right) - and then don’t really touch it again- and do all your tension adjustments on the other knob on the open side of the reel. I also find it hard to adjust the inside knob so that’s why I like it too. 

as far as strength, drag and reeling in bigger fish- these reels hardly even hesitated with bigger stripers, I think you will really like it!