New Rover by Kastking,,,,,,

Rate this topic

Looks good. But at that price point, I'm guessing there are a lot of plastic parts that aren't shown. For example, they show the brass pinion gear, but they don't show the likely plastic yoke. Plastic free spool components, plastic levelwind gears, etc.

I also suspect their drag ratings may be slightly exaggerated. :squid:

But again, at that price point, I'd say it's interesting at least. 

22 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

Looks good. But at that price point, I'm guessing there are a lot of plastic parts that aren't shown. For example, they show the brass pinion gear, but they don't show the likely plastic yoke. Plastic free spool components, plastic levelwind gears, etc.

This is the insides of the older model. All gears metal except for the one right by the spool.

image.png.672831ed675511cf81eb970395ffa763.png

18 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

It's def interesting to me but I def don't need another reel,, then I'd have to buy a rod for it.

MY's are the makers of this I'm 99% sure of Kastking reels as they are almost identical inside.

They have plastic for the pinion mechanism and mine are all fine, no signs of wear.

It's a low stress point.

They also are the only ones I've ever seen to use a brass LW gear on the spool and side cover.

They have gained popularity and that has caused them to increase in price.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Posted (edited)
2 mins ago, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

This is the insides of the older model. All gears metal except for the one right by the spool.

image.png.672831ed675511cf81eb970395ffa763.png

Do they work for you?

Check out my old thread "Chinese reels" 

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

2 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

It's def interesting to me but I def don't need another reel,, then I'd have to buy a rod for it.

MY's are the makers of this I'm 99% sure of Kastking reels as they are almost identical inside.

They have plastic for the pinion mechanism and mine are all fine, no signs of wear.

It's a low stress point.

They also are the only ones I've ever seen to use a brass LW gear on the spool and side cover.

They have gained popularity and that has caused them to increase in price.

HH

I just might have to try one out for that price. :th:

Posted (edited)
5 mins ago, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

image.png.3df8963cc34c880a8056ea3f52fc1a57.png

Ming yang CL series are exactly the same inside.

In the outside they are the same as the improved A series.

Cl -70 and 60.

IMG_20220319_224627.jpg.d3b50e01c489f409fa7738454f17b072.jpg

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

16 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

I just might have to try one out for that price. :th:

I picked one up a week or two ago. I don't need it but for $42 I couldn't resist. They look and feel pretty well constructed. I have an ABU and Piscifun so I figured I'd add this to the stable so I could compare them. The ABU I have is from almost 30 years ago and the drag sucks. I had to clamp down on the spool with my thumb and raise the rod then reel down as I'm dropping the rod to get it to retrieve any line while fighting a fish. And the drag isn't worn out it's been that way since it was brand new. I could replace the drag with a carbon fiber disc or I could just buy a $42 Kastking. The Kastking drag at 30 lbs should blow it away.