who still uses conventional for surf casting

Rate this topic

shark lobster

I fish only conventional’s and love it! After many years of trial and errors, the reel of choice are Shimano Calcutta’s! They hold up to fishing 4/5 nights a week, cast well! Only down side is they don’t like swimming…!

And the best part is by the middle of My index finger is not cut to the bone…!!!

As far as distance goes, don’t need it ! cast an eel and you’ll be amazed how close the fish are to the shore!

6 hours ago, Damon Hamilton said:

I fish only conventional’s and love it! After many years of trial and errors, the reel of choice are Shimano Calcutta’s! They hold up to fishing 4/5 nights a week, cast well! Only down side is they don’t like swimming…!

And the best part is by the middle of My index finger is not cut to the bone…!!!

As far as distance goes, don’t need it ! cast an eel and you’ll be amazed how close the fish are to the shore!

agreed on the distance ! 

I learned on a Penn Squidder that i rebuilt myself. I still occasionally break it out every once in awhile. I use a 525 mag, or the Abus I have mostly now these days. The older Blue Yonder is really sweet to use though! 

1 hour ago, Busanga said:

What is the advantage of fishing conventional.  For surf fishing from beach.

I think there are equal to spinning on the beach you can get the distance if you know how to cast . fishing eels definitely a advantage but throwing into current and drifting is were they really shine , easy to let line out and keep in contact . But its a learned technique like fly fishing .