who still uses conventional for surf casting

Rate this topic

shark lobster

It’s pretty much all I use, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t? It just makes more sense to me.  Infact I only have 1 surf spinning set up that I havnt touched in a long time. I do have a bunch of freshwater spinning rods and fluke rods. Glad to see others are also using conventional gear.  There are many advantages, The line goes straight on and off, no wind knots, it lays flat on the water. Infact I use mono on all my set ups- change it anytime I feel and if only cost a few bucks to change. It basically works like a winch, much more power that way. Very straight forward, the line doesn’t have to turn and twist to get in the spool. Easy to service and easy to upgrade/mod. Your casting finger won’t get torn up due to braid, wet hands and heavy loads. Especially casting heavier plugs, which I like to do. The only thing is you can’t dunk them, but I’m not into dunking anyways- and if I spend 600$ on a reel I wouldn’t want to dunk it! Lol but that just me, if you like the dunk then you like the dunk and that’s fine!

anyways, I prefer the Garcia 7k size, there is also a variety of others that are off name brands that are cheap and easy to upgrade too and a similar size to the 7k Garcia. Nothing fancy but gets the job done!  

2 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

It’s pretty much all I use, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t? It just makes more sense to me.  Infact I only have 1 surf spinning set up that I havnt touched in a long time. I do have a bunch of freshwater spinning rods and fluke rods. Glad to see others are also using conventional gear.  There are many advantages, The line goes straight on and off, no wind knots, it lays flat on the water. Infact I use mono on all my set ups- change it anytime I feel and if only cost a few bucks to change. It basically works like a winch, much more power that way. Very straight forward, the line doesn’t have to turn and twist to get in the spool. Easy to service and easy to upgrade/mod. Your casting finger won’t get torn up due to braid, wet hands and heavy loads. Especially casting heavier plugs, which I like to do. The only thing is you can’t dunk them, but I’m not into dunking anyways- and if I spend 600$ on a reel I wouldn’t want to dunk it! Lol but that just me, if you like the dunk then you like the dunk and that’s fine!

anyways, I prefer the Garcia 7k size, there is also a variety of others that are off name brands that are cheap and easy to upgrade too and a similar size to the 7k Garcia. Nothing fancy but gets the job done!  

Agreed,....cept the winch part.....lol

17 hours ago, Stewie said:

Exclusively Chuck, Squidder for chunks, Fathom 12 for everything else. Honey Lamis or an old Daiwa 11 footer from the 80s(90s?)

I remember you casting my Lami XS9 and Abu 6500 at Quonnie the fist time I met you, pal!

BTW, looks like I'll be up the usual spot for the new moon in Oct. Put it in your calendar. :th: 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

well, I might as well admit to the fact that I'm in on this too.

Almost 30 years ago I was told by one of the guys that hung out at the bait shop that if I switch to conventional I would never go back, so I tried it with an old Shimano Corsair 300a.

He was correct, I never looked back, be it a Calcutta 700b,Omoto chief 7k csm, 400 lexa hd, Omoto chief Xtreme 630,tica caimen 201,ming yang Cl-60 or CL-70,Quantum Iron IR-330,Omoto Hubilie 777s3 as well as a few others, they all worked out well.

I never went back although I still have my old glass surf stick with a daiwa GS-3 mounted with electric tape.

I love them all and will not change,,,,,

HH

IMG_20200607_061218.jpg.54b6586d9b3b0c524651d1c89e390d1e.jpg

IMG_20220415_164707.jpg.a988d81450acdaabf70a29b7aec88c6b.jpg

IMG_20210625_022032.jpg.da73bc67629582c90b555fb5321d122e.jpg

IMG_20220415_164938.jpg.6d34bf8b2c85eae4c3bb15a0358c58c0.jpg

IMG_20220415_164908.jpg.487f91d05e588073b9fa35d7356fa7bd.jpgIMG_20211019_014715.jpg.a00912848a9d41ae514b064e1580c7d3.jpg

IMG_20200608_053311.jpg

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I don't surfcast much at all anymore due to medical reasons, but I used to use conventional reels a lot when I was. I still use them almost exclusively from the boats now. Everything from old Squidders to low profile Lexa 300 and 400, various ABU Garcia's as well as a couple Saltiga conventional reels.