who still uses conventional for surf casting

Rate this topic

shark lobster

A baitcasting reel is so versatile and really outshines spinning gear in deeper water. So much easier to feel what the lure is doing and let line out as needed to stay near the bottom or extend your drift by slowly feeding out line. I also really like them for working Docs as already mentioned. I bet if more anglers broke away from the VS everyone is hung up on using, they’d be shocked how great of a tool a baitcaster can be in the surf.  

There are so many great options for 3/400 sized reels these days, but I’ve found the Okuma Komodo to be a true beast of a little reel that holds up well in the sand/salt and best for pulling on bigger fish.

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

That was fun last year the night you scored on your conventional! 

We had something in the works a few seasons ago.  We called it the squidder challenge. We could only fish with penn squidders and the loser bought the winner breakfast! Then covid hit and everything was closed so it was the loser had to cook the winner breakfast.  It kind of got away from us. 

I had my squidder all rigged up an an old glass rod with a kastmaster and a teaser:idea:,

Well it kind of got away from us this squidder challenge.  

That's great.  That's what I use. Penn Squidder.

4 hours ago, S Hook said:

I fish with one on and off that I made 30 years ago out of an old fiberglass 10' blank.  Penn Squidder, clamped on with broomstick handle. 30 lb Ande. 

IMG_8685.jpeg

IMG_8686.jpeg

IMG_8687.jpeg

Wow, that broomstick handle takes me back 20-30 years. A lot of people did that around me, and you don't see it much anymore.

8 mins ago, FallenKell said:

Wow, that broomstick handle takes me back 20-30 years. A lot of people did that around me, and you don't see it much anymore.

You'll know it's me when you see it. lol

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

That was fun last year the night you scored on your conventional! 

We had something in the works a few seasons ago.  We called it the squidder challenge. We could only fish with penn squidders and the loser bought the winner breakfast! Then covid hit and everything was closed so it was the loser had to cook the winner breakfast.  It kind of got away from us. 

I had my squidder all rigged up an an old glass rod with a kastmaster and a teaser:idea:,

Well it kind of got away from us this squidder challenge.  

that squidder challenge should be relived , I have my 146 ready to go

I tried to get on board with a conventional for plugin, didn’t work for me.  Built a 1-3 oz. rod for a 155 and tried a Penn 975. 
Just a disaster for me except for bait which I have not done in over 25 years.

If I remember right those were bike grips for handle bars.

Admire you guys who keep it going! Great job!

I just picked up a 9 foot conventional lami for light bait fishing. I usually only fish conventional for bait. I do have a squall 400 I was thinking about trying out for bucktailing. Some 30lb stealth and I might give it a whirl. 

Exclusively Chuck, Squidder for chunks, Fathom 12 for everything else. Honey Lamis or an old Daiwa 11 footer from the 80s(90s?)

.........Elvis lives....2020

I’ve got an Accurate Tern 2 on a 10’ GSB but I’ve also got a VR200 on a 10’ 2 piece GSB. I tend to use the conventional reels for big baits or heavy loads and spinning reels for working lures. I’ve got one of the 12’ Ocean Masters for 8-n-bait that I had a Penn US Senator on but recently swapped it for an old Daiwa Sealine 350H. I like using both types of reels and enjoy the different casting idiosyncrasies.IMG_3964.jpeg.16b2db999d60a0b9d1bccb6acc4d0423.jpegIMG_0530.jpeg.e35022f9741b96e55c33f9bcf965682e.jpeg

I fish conventional all the time when chunking or livelining bait, but it’s usually the Fathoms, Squalls, and Abu’s. I have not fully embraced the low profiles. The only LP reel I fish is the Komodo, and it’s a total beast. 

For artificials, it’s spinning only.

5 hours ago, LowEnd said:

I tried to get on board with a conventional for plugin, didn’t work for me.  Built a 1-3 oz. rod for a 155 and tried a Penn 975. 
Just a disaster for me except for bait which I have not done in over 25 years.

If I remember right those were bike grips for handle bars.

Admire you guys who keep it going! Great job!

Yeah, you’re right I should’ve said handle bar grip