'24 Chu thread

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, bdowning said:

I think March wound up at 3-4" above normal precipitation for the month. This is for Boston, so it'll vary a little for other metro locations. 

It may even be as high as 8"+ above normal. 

As of March 28, Boston had 6.65" of rain in November. Rainfall average is 3.5" for March, so that's 3.15" above average as of March 28. I don't have the numbers for the rest of the month...couldn't figure out the NWS Boston website...

Pfantum Pfishah

On 4/1/2024 at 3:05 PM, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

What size spoons do you like using at the res. I like using a 7' UL with 6lb braid and 1/8oz jigs at my local spots but have never been to the res so looking for opinions. 

The chu is not an easy fishery but the conventional wisdom as I understand it is to get out as far as you can. I personally don't throw spoons smaller than 1/4 oz but really prefer 1/3 oz or heavier

What size spoons do you like using at the res. I like using a 7' UL with 6lb braid and 1/8oz jigs at my local spots but have never been to the res so looking for opinions. 

I throw 3/8 oz - 1oz, depending on what I'm targeting. For Lakers & smallies, I generally throw a 1oz metal. For rainbows & salmon, 3/8oz, 1/2oz, 5/8oz or 3/4oz. Although, the salmon that I posted earlier in this thread, I caught on a 1oz, gold kastmaster, so it's a guideline more than a hard rule.

Up until mid May, when the smallies spawn, you don't need a Herculean cast. The fish are often in the shallows, early or later in the day. They come up the drop offs into shallower water, fall back mid day, and come back into the shallows in the late afternoon. Sunshine, wind & temperature will affect this. If it's a sunny, warm day with no wind and glass water, it'll most often be slower fishing than a windy, cloudy day. Wind and choppy water are your friend at the Chu because the water is very clear.

Edited by zak-striper

I was hoping more experienced/successful anglers were gonna answer but I give my $00.02 worth.

1/2 to 3/4 Oz spoons seem to work best. I don't doubt the smaller stuff works but you're going to need something bigger than an UL. Even though the fish aren't giant, a 4 lb laker or smallmouth are both very possible. Unless you carry a long net, landing fish in the rocky areas can be difficult. A decently heavy leader will make all the difference. 

Early in the season the fish can be very close to shore. No need to bomb it out there. In fact casting parallel to shore in only a few feet of water can be very effective. 

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I was hoping more experienced/successful anglers were gonna answer but I give my $00.02 worth.

1/2 to 3/4 Oz spoons seem to work best. I don't doubt the smaller stuff works but you're going to need something bigger than an UL. Even though the fish aren't giant, a 4 lb laker or smallmouth are both very possible. Unless you carry a long net, landing fish in the rocky areas can be difficult. A decently heavy leader will make all the difference. 

Early in the season the fish can be very close to shore. No need to bomb it out there. In fact casting parallel to shore in only a few feet of water can be very effective. 

Does anyone fish epoxy jigs there?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

I used them a couple times. I think I got at least one laker, I honestly don't remember. It seems like they should work but usually someone near me gets a fish on a cast master and I lose confidence on the epoxy. 

4 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Yes. I caught this one on an electric chicken Hogy epoxy.

20210423_164818.jpg.8471884fc67332788fe312988257582b.jpg

And kastmaster XLs, which are like Deadly Dicks, also work well out there. I like the blue of Kastmaster XLs better. It's a lighter blue than the Deadly Dick, a little closer to smelt color.

20151129_064425.jpg.79742e6c2e6ddf24098843c501d19266.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Was today opening day?I was in Newport or I would have gone 

Yes. I have the luxury of skipping weekends and only fishing during the week so I wasn't out there. Not til Tuesday and Wed for me. Fish aren't going anywhere but hopefully the people are ! Crowds usually fade down 1-2 wks after the opener.

Alas, more rain coming late next week. :shock:

Pfantum Pfishah