Will the blues show up this year?

Rate this topic

I sure hope so. Not sure what’s going on with these fish. Long Island and New England had a big push last season but I am not seeing them like we used to have them in raritan bay. We are getting some but certainly not the numbers of the past. I wonder why we are getting bypassed by these fish?

My guess is that they'll show up for a 3 or 4 day window, then vanish.  

If you're waiting for reports to tell you when to go out to get them, you've probably already missed them. 

My go to date to start looking for them is April 15th or so. Depending on the weather...

Up on Cape Cod, the early blue arrivals are usually triggered by squid runs. Dunno about NJ, presumably bunker. Captain Obvious here, but the numbers are a shadow of 30 years ago. Like many other species. I think the only thing that seems to be thriving up here is black sea bass and scup (porgies). I just don't remember them being much of a thing back in the 90s. 

Pfantum Pfishah

11 hours ago, MEF said:

For the sake of my dwindling megashad collection I agree

The last two years instead of blues invading the rivers for 3 weeks in April they were almost completely absent and we were left with unbelievable bass fishing straight through the month.  In the previous 10 years anytime the blues take up in the rivers the bass bite all but shuts down.  Sure a 10 lb blue can be fun, but not at the expense of 10-25 lb bass eating metal lips on every other cast.  I’ll take a bluefishless year any time I can.  

Ive been in the keys the past week with my family and hooked a 12-15 lb blue in the middle of a Jack and tarpon bite on the bridges.  If that’s the last bluefish I encounter this year I’ll be a happy man. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, Fishit 2 said:

Whatever happened to the night time party boats that used to go out for blues? I can’t ever recall catching a blue at night…

The boats slaughtered what was left of the stock. Party boats are Probably responsible for the majority of the population decline on most species.    

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

On 3/28/2024 at 9:42 AM, bbfish said:

Ive been in the keys the past week with my family and hooked a 12-15 lb blue in the middle of a Jack and tarpon bite on the bridges.  If that’s the last bluefish I encounter this year I’ll be a happy man. 

thats a very impressive blue for down there. nice work.