If You Blew a Tranny.....

Rate this topic

Chunkah

...on a 2013 Audi A7 with 96k on the engine, would you replace it or rebuild it? I had the transmission replaced in my F150 years ago and it ran fine, at least until the engine blew. The car is with my mechanic now awaiting analysis. If there is no damage to the engine, I assume a rebuilt or new transmission should be fine, but what would you do? I'm not looking to get into another car payment, and I have to fix this thing if I want to get rid of it anyway, so I'm resigned to spending some bucks here. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm curious what others may think. The "event" felt rather catastrophic, so at this point I'm just praying it's only the transmission.  

96,000 doesn't seem like a lot of mileage. How does it run? Any other issues with it, suspension, rot, stuff like that? 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

So what happened ? When you put in park what happens ?  

It’s depends on what number they shoot you for a replacement/rebuilt tranny .. nothing on them Audis are cheap ..  96k is in that kinda not old but kinda getting their deal .. everything else on the car good ? Or she gonna need more love soon . All things to consider 

2 mins ago, MikeMc said:

96,000 doesn't seem like a lot of mileage. How does it run? Any other issues with it, suspension, rot, stuff like that? 

Up until today she runs like a dream. No rust, no rot, good suspension, no issues except my passenger side mirror decided to stop adjusting itself when I reverse (great to avoid curb rash on the rims). She's a solid 8.5 - 9 out of 10. 

2 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

So what happened ? When you put in park what happens ?  

It’s depends on what number they shoot you for a replacement/rebuilt tranny .. nothing on them Audis are cheap ..  96k is in that kinda not old but kinda getting their deal .. everything else on the car good ? Or she gonna need more love soon . All things to consider 

I was simply at a stop sign and a huge line of traffic was coming, so I kinda punched it to get out in front of the conga line and the thing just dumped. A huge thud, then the transmission failure message came on the dash. I was able to limp into the driveway / parking area about 15 feet ahead and stopped the car. Turned it off immediately and let it sit a few. Turned it back on and threw it in gear and nothing. In park it initially felt like it could still roll, but I was on a very flat surface so who knows. I think I may have smelled something too.

What your describing dosent sould like a tranny. Sounds more like a cv or universal joint. If you can roll in park, then i can almost guarantee its not the tranny. Park is a dog that locks into the output shaft, so if you can move the car in park by pushing, your problem is downstream of the output shaft.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive.