What is the best way to determine how a blank was cut on custom rod?

Rate this topic

Two years ago, I bought a custom honey lami tog rod second hand.  How could I determine which blank was used, what cuts were made?

want to list the rod for sale, but don’t know how to determine the specifics, like blank, size tip, style of guide placement (9+tip) etc.  

any advise on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1533.jpeg.dec1d13b015d8885f18b7a45ff3944c3.jpegIMG_1534.jpeg.6641a590f48929b90ebda70c9b178355.jpegIMG_1536.jpeg.80a96e8dc8b27e487a3212bec6715327.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Without finding the builder there is no way. I say take some good pics maybe under a load as well so someone could see the bend and action and list it as unknown blank. If I was to guess for you since its a tog rod its probably 1143f or MB1083m. But that's just my guess because they where popular Tog blanks.

Maybe you could mic some spots and see if you could match it to one of those.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, mikejd said:

Without finding the builder there is no way. I say take some good pics maybe under a load as well so someone could see the bend and action and list it as unknown blank. If I was to guess for you since its a tog rod its probably 1143f or MB1083m. But that's just my guess because they where popular Tog blanks.

Maybe you could mic some spots and see if you could match it to one of those.

I would say that’s a good guess, 

MB 1083m 

the cross wrap is kind of long for a shop ?  Home made I would say. 

Thank you for the insights on how to identify blanks.  Hope to learn more about rod building in the near future. 

I sold the rod as blank unknown.  Subsequently, I had the fortuitous opportunity to meet the builder and visit their shop.  If I was afforded hindsight, I would not have sold the rod and just would have given it back to the builder, which I did with another of their rods so that it would find its way back to whom was the original, intended owner. 

I do take solace in the hope that whoever bought this rod will fish it and put its extraordinary parabolic bend to use. As some rods aren’t meant to gather dust up in a rack. Some rods are crafted, every inch, with the embodiment of what it means to be a true fisherman.  

Tight thread wraps to all the craftsman here on this forum.  I just got my &$$ kicked by tin, but plan to be back here in the near future to learn all I can about rod building.