Tree anchors

Rate this topic

9 mins ago, giant basshole said:

A fall harness and a climbing belt are two completely different things. Does yours have a mid back point of attachment? Not the right one for the job. 

Also have climbing belt. All good!  Harness has a retractable lanyard with two tie off points. 

3 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

That's what the anchors are for... Duh. 

I don't understand the anchors...what do you anchor them to? And what are you anchoring to them?

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Just now, Patrick9915 said:

That's what the anchors are for... Duh. 

I'm sure you will fall just like an anchor.

Or maybe you'll just remove one of your limbs and die before you can get down.

Edited by Gotcow?

2 hours ago, Mokes said:

Pat, you have a good climbing line? Butt strap? Know your knots? There is no such thing as a tree anchor. The tree is your anchor point. Without a strap, you're gonna die. Don't know the knot to tie off with? Dead. 

Know how to run a saw in a tree? Understand kickbacks? Weights of wood? Grain structures of different woods? Know how to undercut properly? 

You can be pulled in half if you eff up. Or saw your arm off. Get pinned. Lots of amazing fun stuff.

Like Tim said, we need video of this fiasco waiting to happen.

So if I fall, the anchors catch me.

What are they anchored to? The tree that you are chopping down/apart? Doesn't that seem like a bad idea? 

It's not really just falling you gotta worry about - it's more likely you get knocked out of the tree by an 800# limb that didn't do what you expected. I can't picture a safe way to be in a tree and chop the top off of it. 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Don’t forget the helmet. 

20482CB5-1EF4-4853-8992-24033D48900F.jpeg.9bf828deb41e430b3535b02749d5a336.jpeg

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

17 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

So if I fall, the anchors catch me.

And then your spine breaks. You're doomed. 

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

That's the point I was making. 

I understand.   Trust me stuff happens when.  you least expect it.   

It isn't the fall that hurts you.  It is the sudden stop.  ( I speak from experience)

Is the tree close to your driveway ?     If so, a lift is the way to go.     Start at the bottom from the outside and work your way to the trunk.   Small branches can be cut with one hand and caught with the other this is why you need a tree saw. (top handle saw)  Then drop limb straight down.    A ground person is a must to move debris after you drop it.   

The sling method you want to use is asking for an accident to happen and definitely not a 1 person job. 

Do you know how to tie a prusik knot ?