Fishing Puerto Rico: Go Big or Go Home!

Rate this topic

petespeak

Vs the supermarket where everyone spoke English. And took credit. Where the cleanliness and selection rivaled Publix in FL. I believe that this one had a secured parking lot (the supermarket validated) and was one elevator level from a 24 hr Planet Fitness. I ate, worked out, showered and ate again.

IMG_2497.jpeg

Pretty interesting report. I've been going there since the 80s for work and despite my whiteness haven't had any issues there ever with people or prejudice. In terms of fishing I was there 3 weeks ago jumping tarpon off the beach in Rincon, so maybe you need to focus a bit more on your tactics? On certain beaches in Cabo Rojo you can see tarpon clearly swimming at your feet. Some beaches have been hit hard over the years by spear fishermen, but certainly not all. In terms of infrastructure my family was down there doing disaster relief after Maria and Irma, so we saw it at its worst. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the areas we were in (on the west coast) had built back up. I was also surprised by all the nice cars driving around - apparently the Rincon area has been populated by many cyber currency millionaires from what the locals told me. They aren't hurting there.

A week after I left my 25 year old daughter and her college roommate went down. They spent 2 nights in El Yunque, 4 nights in Rincon and 3 nights on Vieques - again no feeling of threat at all despite being attractive young white girls in a rental car. Now they both have lived in Chile, are fluent in Spanish and my daughter did multiple tours of disaster relief in Yabucoa (not an area most tourists would ever see). My daughter says she feel as comfortable there as she does at home (we've been bringing her there her whole life). She is well traveled and can easily identify where to stay away from as she has lived in several big cities. 

I'm actually considering making the area our winter home. We've met a lot of  people down there over the years, always very friendly. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I do OK and find the locals appreciate the effort. Personally I can't wait to go back, my 10 weight likes the workout!

23 mins ago, Dan K said:

Against this threads guidance I’m going to try. Will pick up an uglystik or similar from the Walmart in SJ.

anything else to bring?

The vast majority of my inshore success in the nearby USVI while fishing from shore and kayak has been with a blue and silver skinny jig worked vertically or horizontally, usually less than 1 oz and sometimes as small as 3/8 oz.  I'd prob pare down the # of swim shads and bring a few skinny metals like hogy epoxy jigs or williamson gomame jigs in a few small sizes.  I've also used clouser minnows as teasers had success.  A few hooks, weights, and a sabiki rig if you want to try your hand at bait fishing.  Shrimp, squid, or live pilchards will all work.  The snapper below hit a 3/4 or 1/2 oz blue over silver gotcha jig fish (with upgraded hardware) close to shore in about 25 ft.

snapper.png.16d84f071729b203945c4882c8f19b01.png

On 3/26/2024 at 6:47 PM, petespeak said:

Glad to hear some folks had good luck fishing from shore...how about sharing some details...i'd love to know what you learned from your homework that i missed...perhaps we fished in different locations? C'mon...please don't say how your fishing experience was better than mine without telling me what you were doing right...your going to give me a complex or something.

I've done a lot of DIY shore on both coasts. I mostly target tarpon but I've caught some huge jacks on fly gear as well. One thing I've found with the shore tarpon, at least for fly gear, is you need to be in the water before dawn. At that time fish will be rolling within easy casting distance and will readily hit flies. Usually I'm rigged and in the water at 5:30 AM, by 7:30 that game is done. There is a night fishery off the beaches, mostly locals. I don't tend to hit that as I'm out with my wife at night, but jacks on poppers is a thing on many of these spots. Here's an interesting thing I found - there are many smaller beaches where the charter boats launch and pick up sports. When they come in after a day fishing they anchor off the beach and clean their catch. When this is happening the water boils with tarpon and jacks, and even when it's done those fish tend to take up residence in those spots, so if you can find a place where that activity is happening it's a good place to focus. 

Oh the bakeries! I would be muy gordo if I spent too much time there, wish we had those here. Locals drink Don Q, which is a good affordable rum. I'm a rum addict so for me it's Barrilito 3 star, but we had to go to the distilery where we found this;

10278.jpeg.0a2379981eb4617c6a17a24b69e43749.jpeg

Yah $750 a bottle, $50 a glass but on the tour you get a sample. Damn! 35 years ago they started with 8 barrels, over the years evaporation has that down to just 1 barrel left, thus the price. They had a 4 star 20 year old that I liked better for only $300 a bottle, but I stuck with 3 star to bring home. The first thing we do down there is find the most beat up looking store on Rte.2 and buy a few bottles for the week, much cheaper than you'll pay in town. I'm not going to say I like rum better than fishing, but.....

My experience differs as well . . . spend most of my time based out of Rincon, with trips to Isabellla, Cabo Rojo, specifically Boqueron.  Found shore based fishing to be very good . . . tarpon, snook and mangroves.   Never had issue with "locals", just the opposite when I encountered a local and he shortened my learning curve fishing the area.  My daughter has been living in Rincon going on 6 years.

Have not spent any time on the other end of the island . . . haven't ventured off shore as I have too much fun fishing on the beach, grass flats and rocks.  

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

Day 1 report 4-530

hotel situated on a nice lagoon. Walked 15 mins to Walmart and picked up an 6’6 tsunami citadel. Brought the vsx100. Funny combo.

Immediately saw some surface feeding and got hyped when I got to the spot.

first cast w a white 5in paddletail, had a huge cuda follow and miss, within seconds after a juvi tarpon slams it. Same retrieve! She spit it after a couple of jumps. Prob 30in.

had a small snapper hit the teaser and now I’m off to a dinner reservation. Tomorrows got rain all day , but I’ll still try the morning tide.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

11 hours ago, Skin said:

Nice work Dan, killing it in every ocean with that 5” shad!

Yes sir! Lost both white ones to snags this morning in the rain. No action, some manatees hanging out. Back to Walmart lol

Mid week report.

starting to feel like I’m casting into the abyss! Have spent about 6 hours between work and going out casting. All outgoing tides. Can’t get my schedule to align with incoming. I’m blaming that for my lack of success - tossing absolutely everything at them. 

shads, x raps, bucktails, spooks , metal, teasers and have come up short. I’ll keep trying .. might have to fish a night tide incoming to really see if there’s fish 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:02 PM, cartopper said:

My experience differs as well . . . spend most of my time based out of Rincon, with trips to Isabellla, Cabo Rojo, specifically Boqueron.  Found shore based fishing to be very good . . . tarpon, snook and mangroves.   Never had issue with "locals", just the opposite when I encountered a local and he shortened my learning curve fishing the area.  My daughter has been living in Rincon going on 6 years.

Have not spent any time on the other end of the island . . . haven't ventured off shore as I have too much fun fishing on the beach, grass flats and rocks.  

We loved Rincon! Spent several days end of June. Fishing wasn't great, but the food, drinks and people were awesome. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:02 PM, cartopper said:

I spent the month in Aguada. I wrote this post saying i went mainly to recover from surgery by walking at least ten miles a on the beach with an inshore fishind rod rigged and ready. Mission accomplished. Jumped a bunch of tarpon but didn't count them because there was zero chance of actually hooking up and landing one with my gear. Hit every beach between Combate to the south and Aguadilla to the north. Only shot at decent fish was when I fished Boqueron. Played with barracuda chasing everything along the sandy stretches. Facing the water I waded to the left all the way up to the river mouth mat first light. Small green Creek Chub popper did well raising a few cruising snook, one direct hit: juvie that came off my barbless hook. I go barbless when tarpon are about. Not on my radar with the gear I had.: Saves time, gear and a full braid respool. Heading off the the other end of town are mangoves you can access just beyond the pier. Got there after dark and the walk got deep and stinky pretty quick where I was...heard lots of fish breaking water in the darkest shadows That's the hotspot I found in Buqueron. But the town on the weekend was awesome.Looks like a Caribbean town in a Disney movie. 5 bucks for a dozen oysters, slurped down 20 bucks worth, locals singing Karaoke outside: I danced in the streets with everyone else and had a blast.

Combate to the south was a different experience. Fished the entire beach all the way to the second broken dock where the fish are. Saw one nice sized snapper caught on dropshot rig with #2 hook, 1 in. squid strips. Tarpon rolling around above the eel grass. Nobody had fly gear and the 40 inch fish went ignored. I had snook in mind and watched the two others drink beer dangling squid hooks. Walked all the way back to the nice restaurant next to the beach. Hoping for a good meal i met up with a cold faced hostess who ignored me while seating several other customers who came in after. Twenty minute later after being refused a waterside booth I was ushered back by the parking lot and seated on broken patio furniture. After another twenty minutes and a glaring waitress who spoke no English, I tried my limited Spanish and she left in a huff muttering "no comprendo". I figured it was time to leave and walked down the street and then found myself being bird-dogged by a cop in a truck dressed in full tactical gear. He followed me in with the diesel engine rumbling and then stopped when I suddenly switched directions and turned around and hustled back to my room. The clerk told me they did not recommend that restaurant to off-islanders anymore becuase of rising tensions..he said it, not me. He then advised me to stay away from that area after dark. Kind of killed my fishing mood for the evening and I left the next morning. 

First landed fish here in PR. Lil guy was pulling drag!

had a tarpon blast the xrap out of the water without hooking up as soon as it hit the water. Reaction strike I guess. Back at it in the morning.

85C3FA30-EF0C-4263-AC5D-89DB1266E940.jpeg

26 mins ago, Dan K said:

First landed fish here in PR. Lil guy was pulling drag!

had a tarpon blast the xrap out of the water without hooking up as soon as it hit the water. Reaction strike I guess. Back at it in the morning.

85C3FA30-EF0C-4263-AC5D-89DB1266E940.jpeg

hey---I caught one just like that guy...haha but commercial local fishermen fished with nets and filled coolers with that exact fish...half the cooler netted them 200 dollars. I became friendly with a local group of neighborhood guys who fished out of the boat ramp adjacent my monthly rental in Aguada. They saw me first day there practice casting my throw nets...busted my balls in Spanish a bit and laughed called me over and we talked almost everyday at least once for a month...spent more time with them than anyone else, mostly just sitting on the painted bench at the end of the street watching the ocean, listening to San Juan pop radio tunes blasting from 6am until whenever...miss that part of my daily routine in Puerto Rico.