Fishing Puerto Rico: Go Big or Go Home!

Rate this topic

petespeak

I would focus on places to eat. They love their food and I ate at a lot of places. But the most ridiculous experience was ordering a Cafe Con Leche at Walmart.

Crime must be weird, the supermarkets lock up their coffee.

Coquito is supposed to be for holidays, but it is not hard to find and try.

And I never got to try the NY pizza.

But the Pork Highway was good. Just imagine driving a couple of miles past roadside stands and restaurants all

competing to roast and fry the best pork on the island.

TIP

-You have to leave your drivers license and credit card with the attendant to buy gas unless you use cash. Apparently this leads to credit card cloning.

-The lanes can be very narrow. Uncomfortably narrow for me driving at times.

-Learn Spanish lol

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

Edited by Skin

My surfcasting experience was completely different while I was in PR but I did my homework before going, so YMMV

Can't say I felt the discrimination either being 6ft and freckled and wife and spent most of our time at the local haunts.  Haven't been to Culebra or Vieques yet, next time...I hear the bonefishing there is great.

2 hours ago, cbinvb said:

My surfcasting experience was completely different while I was in PR but I did my homework before going, so YMMV.

I've done a bit in the USVI which are close enough that it should be extremely similar to PR.  Saying that the DIY inshore fishery is a bust wasn't my experience either.

Glad to hear some folks had good luck fishing from shore...how about sharing some details...i'd love to know what you learned from your homework that i missed...perhaps we fished in different locations? C'mon...please don't say how your fishing experience was better than mine without telling me what you were doing right...your going to give me a complex or something.

I have had nothing but a great experience on the island when I have been there for fishing. I usually stay in LAPaguera when I am there. I don't like the San Juan area due to it being overpriced and being a city. The food is great and the the Lechon highway is worth a stop or three. Don Q is a cheap smooth rum and if you are in PR, mojitos are a must. A full day offshore trip is about a grand and you have a shot of catching bucket list dream fish there. I got my only Blue marlin, 150-200 lbs, first mahi over 50 and the unicorn spearfish there. That was one of 4 the Capt has seen in 35 years of fishing there! inshore is your typical reef fish. I can't speak for the shore fishing but the offshre fishing is what you need to chase here. 

Spearfish.jpeg

20190207_104613.jpg

20190209_085924.jpg

20190212_082450.jpg

20190213_152919.jpg

Marlin 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Joser said:

I have had nothing but a great experience on the island when I have been there for fishing. I usually stay in LAPaguera when I am there. I don't like the San Juan area due to it being overpriced and being a city. The food is great and the the Lechon highway is worth a stop or three. Don Q is a cheap smooth rum and if you are in PR, mojitos are a must. A full day offshore trip is about a grand and you have a shot of catching bucket list dream fish there. I got my only Blue marlin, 150-200 lbs, first mahi over 50 and the unicorn spearfish there. That was one of 4 the Capt has seen in 35 years of fishing there! inshore is your typical reef fish. I can't speak for the shore fishing but the offshre fishing is what you need to chase here. 

Spearfish.jpeg

20190207_104613.jpg

20190209_085924.jpg

20190212_082450.jpg

20190213_152919.jpg

Marlin 2.jpg

Nice fish. I didn’t know they had peacock bass there. 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:18 AM, petespeak said:

3)Racial tensions similiar to Hawaii, but more direct in PR. Political corruption, exploitive foreign investment and arrogant rich tourists have taken their toll on "public relations" in PR. If you are a white guy and want to know what it feels like to be a black guy in backwoods Florida go to Combate, the gateway to southern Puerto Rico. Blatant racism, two levels of service in restaurants. Seating was divided between white and brown in the biggest restarant in town and I was advised by a concerned clerk at my that people "like me" should stay off the streets after dark. And just like back home in the US, the further south you travel with the wrong color on your skin, the more "uncomfortable" it gets. 

hawaii? what tensions. Locals lovey dovey money haole then get the frak home over there. All good lol.

The one thing that Hawaii and PR seem to have in common is that once you deviate from the tourist path, American English is a secondary language. I like this, feels exotic. Needing a friendly translator to order breakfast should be expected though. Or you just point to what someone else ordered and mime “same thing”. The other thing that is obvious is the $ penalty imposed by the Jones Act. Stuff is expensive and everything gets imported.

13 hours ago, Skin said:

The one thing that Hawaii and PR seem to have in common is that once you deviate from the tourist path, American English is a secondary language. I like this, feels exotic. Needing a friendly translator to order breakfast should be expected though. Or you just point to what someone else ordered and mime “same thing”. The other thing that is obvious is the $ penalty imposed by the Jones Act. Stuff is expensive and everything gets imported.

Funny you should say that about ESL. We went to a bakery/breakfast place where no one, or we thought spoke english. Luckily between my son and other son's GF they ordered awesome breakfast sandwiches. As we were waiting the busboy kid comes by and speaks to us in perfect english. Asked what we were doing for the day. Native kid, never been off the island but spoke english perfectly. By far the BEST breakfast sandwiches I've ever had. 

41 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

Funny you should say that about ESL. We went to a bakery/breakfast place where no one, or we thought spoke english. Luckily between my son and other son's GF they ordered awesome breakfast sandwiches. As we were waiting the busboy kid comes by and speaks to us in perfect english. Asked what we were doing for the day. Native kid, never been off the island but spoke english perfectly. By far the BEST breakfast sandwiches I've ever had. 

I went to Panaderia Espana in San Juan which has a huge breakfast selection (5 kinds of flan for example) and sells liquor. The trick is the workers do not appear to speak English but some customers do. And you order different things at different counters. Like pastry and coffee at one counter, eggs and bacon at another counter. And pick it up when they call you (not in English) lol. 

IMG_0585.jpeg

Edited by Skin

Filled with confidence in my mastery of language, I moved on to Bebo’s bbq, which has nothing resembling bbq. Where I literally pointed at stuff not really knowing what it was and holding my hands apart to indicate portion size. No one spoke English. The parking lot adjoins McD’s just in case of ordering failure lol. It is right off the main road, near a 24 hr gas station too. So one way or another, one won’t starve.

IMG_0586.jpeg

Edited by Skin