Palm Beach area second week of April

Rate this topic

mikez2

We're going to be in the area of West Palm Beach second week in April. Have never fished that area at all and only limited amount anywhere in Florida. 

There will be five of us total, experienced in surf casting and fishing inlets in New England. Lures and flies are our normal techniques but we're open to anything. 

Looking for general advice and tips for snook, jacks, tarpon etc. Also some of the guys want snakehead and peacocks from the freshwater. 

We've been told to look for spillways but I want to hear other options too.

Are there fish to be caught off the beaches?

Is Okeechobee a reasonable destination for shore fishing?

Do we need to travel farther south for the peacocks?

Also time of day or night.

Is night fishing better? Mornings or evenings?

I wouldn't expect anyone to give up good spots, but what about rought general areas?

What places should we avoid? 

Any other help that can be thrown our way would be greatly appreciated. And I would invite anyone who might visit Ma or RI during the season to hit me up. We can usually find a few fish in our own neighborhood. 

If you want peacocks, exotics, go south to Lake Ida. If you want decent surf fishing, Juno beach. Snook are always hanging around Juno Pier. Also Boynton Inlet if you like tossing bombers and jigs on the tide flush. Snook and tarpon always there. Go after sunset for the inlet to avoid the incoming boat traffic. 24/hr free parking on the south jetty side. West Palm Beach in particular has nothing really to offer, imho. 

1 hour ago, zcoker said:

If you want peacocks, exotics, go south to Lake Ida. If you want decent surf fishing, Juno beach. Snook are always hanging around Juno Pier. Also Boynton Inlet if you like tossing bombers and jigs on the tide flush. Snook and tarpon always there. Go after sunset for the inlet to avoid the incoming boat traffic. 24/hr free parking on the south jetty side. West Palm Beach in particular has nothing really to offer, imho. 

Great! Thanks. I only put west palm beach because the house we're staying at is there.

We'll have 2 vehicles and will be all over. I intend to spend at least one day in the everglades. 

17 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Lake Ida has some good peacock, knife clown fish and large mouth action. Not far from WP, around 23 or so miles.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_8172 2.jpg

Those are sweet!

Is there shore fishing or only boat?

On 3/22/2024 at 2:55 PM, zcoker said:

Can you park in that lot and fish the inlet 24hrs a day? I'm moving to Boynton Beach, would be good to know. Ive only been there for an hour or two in the wintertime

5 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

Can you park in that lot and fish the inlet 24hrs a day? I'm moving to Boynton Beach, would be good to know. Ive only been there for an hour or two in the wintertime

Yes, the south jetty parking is open 24/7 for fishing only. The general park hours (including north jetty parking lot) is sunrise to sundown. 

On 4/4/2024 at 8:24 AM, mikez2 said:

The day is fast approaching. Gear is packed. Excitement level is high.

Hope you guys have a great trip, slay some fish, and build some fantastic memories.  

post some pics when you get back!

On 4/4/2024 at 8:24 AM, mikez2 said:

The day is fast approaching. Gear is packed. Excitement level is high.

Any up to date reports on conditions, weather, what's biting?

It's been real windy.

The bite has been on the slow side in Stuart and Jupiter. Small snappers inshore.

Bluefish, jacks, Pomp's from the beach.

Haven't seen a snook in a while. It should be switching on any day now.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing was tough last week. My boys fished their asses off both freshwater and salt. They jumped one decent tarpon and lost it on the jump. Landed one snook, a decent Spanish and some small blues.

In freshwater they got 3 peacock, a bunch of bass and some odds and ends.

I personally didn't land a single fish on hook and line. I mostly was doing other stuff. I fished one afternoon at an inlet where I missed a couple hits from a big jack. I didn't care for the close quarters on the end of the jetty. Drunk bait fishermen elbowing in between guys casting lures and literally shutting them out would just about get a fight going back home. I guess it's the accepted thing there. Not to my taste.

We did see a huge hammerhead chase something to the surface in the outflow. That was worth it for me. 

IMG_4665.jpg

18947.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

19142.jpeg

19144.jpeg

19168.jpeg

19165.jpeg

19074.jpeg