Deer

Rate this topic

Goddard Park in East Greenwich has a forest of them all behind the houses on the water.    It's really pretty in the fall.

I'll be extra sure to keep the dog out of there (well... she's supposed to be on the leash anyhow)

DITCH TROLL

There is a big buck, real deep tracks off my bedroom window

Anyway was putting latter behind she'd and there was a big sucker and 3 more deer a few min ago. Man there noises.

Here is some of them munchers from today, 

UCon_Cloud__KUJXT4T6JTFGFMOE5E7A_20240401_094405_000_30_P.jpg

UCon_Cloud__KUJXT4T6JTFGFMOE5E7A_20240401_101248_000_30_P_resized.jpg

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

25 mins ago, bassmaster said:

There is a big buck, real deep tracks off my bedroom window

Anyway was putting latter behind she'd and there was a big sucker and 3 more deer a few min ago. Man there noises.

Here is some of them munchers from today, 

UCon_Cloud__KUJXT4T6JTFGFMOE5E7A_20240401_094405_000_30_P.jpg

UCon_Cloud__KUJXT4T6JTFGFMOE5E7A_20240401_101248_000_30_P_resized.jpg

Cool stuff Dave.  But what's hanging from the tree?

The Sultan of Sluggo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 2:54 PM, mikez2 said:

I've been out in the woods two or three times a week since the warm spells in February. I have had a few ticks on me but pretty much the normal amount. 

Today I was following a deer trail which went through a big patch of invasive burning bush plant. The deer apparently like it because it was cropped down completely to to deer munching height and the trail was thick with droppings. I had only gone 20 or 30 yards when I noticed I had the worst swarm of deer ticks that I have ever had. It was nasty. Many of those damn tiny ones. Those scare me the most because they are hard to find once they get on me.

I looked up the plant, for one because I didn't know what it was, and also to see if there's a relationship with ticks. Sure enough, studies have shown deer mice prefer to make their nests under burning bush. 

Nasty plant.

Now I feel phantom ticks crawling all over me.

20240331_115219.jpg

Hadn't heard this about burning bush, also known as winged euonymous. Many states prohibit its sale. It's not native and nothing eats it (ie controls it) so it spreads like crazy. The studies I'm aware of showed that woods full of Japanese barberry (the stuff with stickers on it), that is also a non native invasive, had 16x more deer ticks per acre than woods with no barberry. 

19 mins ago, bassmaster said:

I got some deer repellent,  they attacked my azalea  

This means war

At least the garden is fenced in with a real fence..

I like seeing wild life but leave my plants alone

You will not win! 

Try a motion activation sprinkler 

troll #122  <*)))<