Deer

Rate this topic

2 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

hopefully this one is PG enough to show how nature works and how nasty coyotes are.

Edited by bob_G
Take this crap somewhere else. Do you understand, and quit acting childish..

11 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Why because you like to play internet god?  Take your bull**** bell rd nonsense somewhere.

coyote GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Look, no one's playing Internet anything.  Those photos were frankly weird, disturbing and not in keeping with SOL.  Honestly they appeared photoshopped. 

Please don't post stuff like that here again.   Again, if you're unhappy please feel free to take it up with Tim. It's his site, his rules. I just follow them. :)

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Look, no one's playing Internet anything.  Those photos were frankly weird, disturbing and not in keeping with SOL.  Honestly they appeared photoshopped. 

Please don't post stuff like that here again.   Again, if you're unhappy please feel free to take it up with Tim. It's his site, his rules. I just follow them. :)

Nothing Photoshopped about it.  The thread was about deer and your to busy playing with footsy with everyone calling them fatty to stay on topic.  Stick to the deer

The thing that confuses me, well lots of things confuse me, but on the subject of deer and coyotes, why is it that we have so freaking many deer but also so freaking many coyotes?

I speak only for my local area, northern Middlesex County, still pretty wooded but suburban too.

Virtually every where I hike,whether the deepest woods or between backyards, I find coyote dens. They are raising pups in backyard, next to busy ball fields, in industrial parks and way TF out in the woods. 

Every single person with a trail cam or security cam gets pictures of coyotes. At least in my immediate area, it's impossible to find a patch they don't at least visit.

So why are there so many deer? Why don't they seem to make a dent in the deer numbers? 

Same with turkey. How can so many turkey exist when those blood thirsty critters prowl everywhere?

BTW, that's a serious question. Not trying to stir any pots. I have long been thinking about that question and I don't know the answer. 

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

The thing that confuses me, well lots of things confuse me, but on the subject of deer and coyotes, why is it that we have so freaking many deer but also so freaking many coyotes?

I speak only for my local area, northern Middlesex County, still pretty wooded but suburban too.

Virtually every where I hike,whether the deepest woods or between backyards, I find coyote dens. They are raising pups in backyard, next to busy ball fields, in industrial parks and way TF out in the woods. 

Every single person with a trail cam or security cam gets pictures of coyotes. At least in my immediate area, it's impossible to find a patch they don't at least visit.

So why are there so many deer? Why don't they seem to make a dent in the deer numbers? 

Same with turkey. How can so many turkey exist when those blood thirsty critters prowl everywhere?

BTW, that's a serious question. Not trying to stir any pots. I have long been thinking about that question and I don't know the answer. 

I think it is very similar to a seal stealing your fish.  You get pissed off.   Just in the case of deer you are allowed to shoot the coyotes.  But I agree without the coyotes deer would be way over populated in most places.  I also think some people would have no problem shooting a seal but have a moral dilemma with coyote.  Tomato, Tomato for me if both were legal legal.  Probably get a nice pelt off the seal too.

Edited by FoulHooker

2 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

They keep robbing my bird feeders.  Getting expensive feeding the deer

IMG_1925.jpeg

200’ from occupied dwelling without permission in RI. Their archery discharge restrictions are better than MA.

I know a guy that will help you with your problem. 

41 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Deer are edge creatures. They thrive in the suburbs. They have very little hunting pressure in many suburban settings. 

58 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

I also think some people would have no problem shooting a seal but have a moral dilemma with coyote.  Tomato, Tomato for me if both were legal legal.

I don’t have a moral dilemma shooting either critter, but I see it as wasteful to kill coyotes as they contribute to the ecosystem and aren’t over populated.  Coyotes clean up carrion and keep small animal populations in check.  Sure the eat some deer, but deer are over populated too.

Seals on the other hand are very close if not already overpopulated.  They’ve driven a few fish populations way down, crap all over the beach, and restrict areas where many humans want to go.  I’m trying to see one benefit this growing population contributes to, but can’t see it.