Stripping an aluminum boat

Rate this topic

Everyone on here has been a fantastic help so far. I’ve been starting the restoration of the new to me 1986 StarCraft. Today I got the moter running like a dream. Had some issues with the water pump not too much water was coming out. Took off the lower unit. The impeller looks like it’s in decent shape but I ordered a replacement since I got it open. The gaskets were falling apart so I’m gonna replace those and I’m thinking that’s gonna fix it. So assuming the motor is squared away the only other thing I need to do is get it sea worthy. There’s some small holes in the bottom of the boat. I think the last guy who had it decided to beach it on the rocks. I’m going to patch those either using jb weld marine or total boat makes a product to do patchwork that’s supposed to work for aluminum. Since I’m going to put the effort in I want to paint it the right way. The last owner put a pretty crappy paint job on the hull. I want to strip it and do the epoxy barrier coat. I got a buddy that works on boats that’s going to help me block it. He’s coming home soon so I want to get as much done as I can and be ready when he gets back. I was going to use the total boat etch and wash, the epoxy barrier coat and then the aluminum safe anti foul paint. My question is I gotta get the old paint off first. I have a grinder and I got this disk that’s made for stripping paint off of wood and fiberglass. It worked alright but I think it’s gonna take forever and I’m also worried about taking metal off the boat. I was thinking about using a media blaster but it’s in my buddy’s driveway and I want to keep the mess to a minimum. Is there any chemical stopper I can use that won’t mess up the aluminum? Thanks

Are you keeping the boat in a slip?   If not then there is no need for anti foul paint.

I would sand the old paint to remove all dirt loose stuff etc.  Wipe it all down with denatured alcohol and paint over it rather then strip to bare metal.

Of course it is an aluminum boat so painting the hull does nothing except cosmetics.  The time involved in painting a hull could be better spent fishing.  Fish do not care if the boat is purty!

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Are you keeping the boat in a slip?   If not then there is no need for anti foul paint.

Especially at about a Buck Fifty for a QUART! Crazy

So not sure if I want to slip it or not yet. The main reason for painting it is that epoxy barrier coat. That will allow me to slip it if i decide i want to. I also think the epoxy coat would add an extra layer of protection for the holes i have to patch. The anti foul paint i just figured i might as well do as Im already going through all the trouble blocking it I might as well. Its not a big boat. Only 16'6"

22 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Anti fouling is normaly ablative paint with copper. You do not want to mix metal like that with aluminum.  You will speed up the corrosion process.  

Find bottom Paint for aluminum .  

Especially in a slip because there is going to be stray electricity…..

We’re gonna need a bigger boxcar

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

I would take the boat down to the original paint if it's still there. Old paint can help leaks. I would then test for leaks and make repairs and sand area.  Then I would do a barrier coat. Usually 3:1 mix. Let that harden and then choose your Finish paint. I was hoping to do this asap but not sure I will have time before May. Too busy. 

3 hours ago, sull155 said:

I used gluvit to seal a 1958 starcraft, hit all the seams and rivets, and it's dry as a bone now.  I also patched a small hole with the jb weld marine, hit it with gluvit, and then painted over it.  It's been about 5 years and still sealed up tight, no leaks.  

Thank yoy ill keep that in mind

8 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

Man, that looks to be in very rough shape! Is it really worth all the work? Looks like it needs some serious patch work in many areas.

Worth it not sure. Worth the money absolutly not but its not a buisness venture. I paid 2500 bucks for the thing. Worse comes to worse i got a minkota spot lock and a 60 horse ojt of the deal

So im thinking the patch work on tbe bottom is some sort of fiberglass. I also eliminated the slip as an option so anti foul paint isnt gonna be needed. I still think some sort of epoxy over the bottom would deffinitly help waterproof.Screenshot_20240321_192322_Gallery.jpg.4938120830845c0f600516a4fc5d54fb.jpg

Honestly  I would needle gun or multi tool all that expoxy/bondo/glass crap off.   It didn't hold to the metal because it's  flexing  under way and it flexing the bond right off.   I would probly just drill those  holes out and put some bigger to fit  bolts in the holes  with 4200  between bigger washers.   It's a riveted boat so the bolts heads  not really gonna effect your bottom. Probly just blend right in.    

For the rest of the bottom you won't know till that old stuff is removed .  I personally  wouldn't do anything till you remove that old  repair area .  Might be so Swiss cheese it might just be a lose ..