Bob Popovics

Rate this topic

turkaholic

He's one of the all-time best. I've been tying for over 35 years, and have seen him come up with new innovations at a good pace throughout the entire time. And these are genuinely new techniques and often using new materials, not merely adjustments to techniques that have been around for a while. The use of silicone and epoxy, positioning of bucktail tied backwards,... I'm waiting to see what comes out next.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:43 PM, turkaholic said:

Just watched a Mill House podcast about our very own Bob Pop. What an incredible and humble man. His stories are cool and endless and I want to thank him for being such a staple in fly fishing and tying. He seems to just love to make people happy and want to teach. I just love what Any Mill has accomplished with Mill House in bringing to life all the famous and not so famous people to light. There are so many amazing people who have shaped and molded this amazing sport.

It was a great podcast. The live version was neat to watch in regards to BP showing all his keep sakes etc! BP is one of the best tiers and fly fisherman hands down. He is also one of the best human beings I have ever met. He helped me in many ways during my FF journey. Awesome podcast and wishing all the best to BP and his family. 

19 hours ago, baldwin said:

He's one of the all-time best. I've been tying for over 35 years, and have seen him come up with new innovations at a good pace throughout the entire time. And these are genuinely new techniques and often using new materials, not merely adjustments to techniques that have been around for a while. The use of silicone and epoxy, positioning of bucktail tied backwards,... I'm waiting to see what comes out next.

You would like Gunnar Bramer. He is of the pop school 

On 3/23/2024 at 1:00 AM, Kml said:

The original article in I think Fly Tier magazine on surf Candies is the turning point that started me saltwater fly fishing. 

lol. I read the same article and it started me in salt water fly fishing and tying. Caught my biggest Striper on a surf candy, 43 inches.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, Hook I said:

Sat down with Mr Popovics at his vise & he tyed an unknown fly “ surf candy “  it’s still on my fishing shed wall . 

Bob was at the second "Food Fling" tying

We used to have get togethers at the Shady Rest

Haven't seen him around much :headscratch:

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962