Bob Popovics

Rate this topic

turkaholic

Just watched a Mill House podcast about our very own Bob Pop. What an incredible and humble man. His stories are cool and endless and I want to thank him for being such a staple in fly fishing and tying. He seems to just love to make people happy and want to teach. I just love what Any Mill has accomplished with Mill House in bringing to life all the famous and not so famous people to light. There are so many amazing people who have shaped and molded this amazing sport.

I don't know him personally though I met him at a fly show years ago.  He's a close personal friend of a close personal friend of mine, so I have an affinity.  But no direct connection. From what I've heard, fly fishing and fly tying were therapeutic as he wound down from his service as a Marine combat Vet in Vietnam.  He's had an incredible impact on our sport.  His two fly tying books are among the best out there.   

Met Pop's many times, his passion for the sport and the way he welcomes any and all to join in is unrivaled. Andy  Mills podcast series is a good one that I watch regularly...as a NE surf fisherman the Popovics interview was a real treat.

Met him at a surf seminar years ago and sat down as he tied one of his pop fleyes and he was genuinely knowledgeable, nice and great to hang with. Have to check out the podcast

From The Grand State of South Jersey

On 3/17/2024 at 1:43 PM, turkaholic said:

Just watched a Mill House podcast about our very own Bob Pop. What an incredible and humble man. His stories are cool and endless and I want to thank him for being such a staple in fly fishing and tying. He seems to just love to make people happy and want to teach. I just love what Any Mill has accomplished with Mill House in bringing to life all the famous and not so famous people to light. There are so many amazing people who have shaped and molded this amazing sport.

Thanks for this post. I’ll have to check out the video. It’s easy to admire Bob Pop, as his creativity and ingenuity, practically applied resulted in saltwater flies (and tying techniques) every fly fisherman should employ. 

RockfishOn!! :cool:

@BobPop is one of a kind. Definitely one of the finest ambassadors fly fishing has ever known. He spent many years here, back in the early days, answering questions, coming to every event, tying flies, teaching folks everything he knew about fly fishing. Then he said it was time to sort of step aside here and let the next generation of fly guys to take over and carry the torch. And they have :th: Bob is everything you guys have said he is...and also one of the most genuine good guys I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. He hasn't posted here in some time, but his finger prints are still all over this forum - it's hard not to love that guy :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.