Jump to content

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

I am new to fishing and am looking for tips to help me catch more fish. What is one thing you wish you learned earlier about fishing in these waters? What is the most effective method of fishing here? What is your favorite type of shore based fishing here? 
 

Any advice is much appreciated!

 

Best,

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My best advice for anyone new to fishing is to start by going to your local tackle shop and have them set you up appropriately for the area you would like to fish. They are also there to teach you what you should be targeting and when.

Edited by Grummantigerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom fishing in the Sound is always good. April has a fleeting big bass window of a few weeks. Summer can be slow for Stripers except at night. Wait till Oct. for the Albies, blitzing bass and monster bluefish bite. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My best advice is don’t listen to advice. Gear and general safety stuff, sure, but as far as where and when to fish, no. North shore, SS, back, whatever it doesn’t matter. 
fish the spot to death. 10, 20 times. Different tides different times. Eventually you will catch. Make a note of the conditions when you caught. Go back again on those conditions and try to replicate. 
 

fishing at Captree or fishing on mars, the formula is the same. Everything else is just clout 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PhantomofTheSurf said:

My best advice is don’t listen to advice. Gear and general safety stuff, sure, but as far as where and when to fish, no. North shore, SS, back, whatever it doesn’t matter. 
fish the spot to death. 10, 20 times. Different tides different times. Eventually you will catch. Make a note of the conditions when you caught. Go back again on those conditions and try to replicate. 
 

fishing at Captree or fishing on mars, the formula is the same. Everything else is just clout 

 

This is the best newbie advice you're going to get.  I'd just add that when you're new, fishing with bait is usually going to be more productive.  Have at it both ways.

 

As Phantom says, take everything except for safety advice as advice, not gospel.  Sometimes, fish do things that violate conventional wisdom and you'll catch when advice says you shouldn't, or vice versa.  Sure, there are certain times, water temps, tides that are on average more productive than others, but the best time to fish is always when you have the opportunity.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

 

This is the best newbie advice you're going to get.  I'd just add that when you're new, fishing with bait is usually going to be more productive.  Have at it both ways.

 

As Phantom says, take everything except for safety advice as advice, not gospel.  Sometimes, fish do things that violate conventional wisdom and you'll catch when advice says you shouldn't, or vice versa.  Sure, there are certain times, water temps, tides that are on average more productive than others, but the best time to fish is always when you have the opportunity.

100%, no sub for simple time on the water. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meh, take a step back and figure out where you can/want to fish. Do you have a boat, kayak, shore-based, etc.? Do you have an address, residence, permit to fish in certain places?

 

Especially if shore based, you'll have different setups and tactics optimize based on the geography. Is it a jetty with deep drops, is it a beach, a tidal inlet, bridge, etc. Though some things are cross applicable, you don't see many beach guys using a 7ft mh rod with 3/8 ounce jig head, while the kayak guys don't often use an 11ft rod with a 4 oz bucktail. 

 

So without that preliminary info about how and where you'll fish, it's impossible to give more than really general advice/platitudes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 4:26 PM, PhantomofTheSurf said:

My best advice is don’t listen to advice. Gear and general safety stuff, sure, but as far as where and when to fish, no. North shore, SS, back, whatever it doesn’t matter. 
fish the spot to death. 10, 20 times. Different tides different times. Eventually you will catch. Make a note of the conditions when you caught. Go back again on those conditions and try to replicate. 
 

fishing at Captree or fishing on mars, the formula is the same. Everything else is just clout 

 

I like this advice because it is not about how to fish.  It is about how to figure out how to fish.  Do it a lot, even if conditions like tide, weather, etc., say not to, and keep a record.  Another piece of advice in this vein is "do what works for you."

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."   -- A.K. Best --

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LI_Angler said:

 

I like this advice because it is not about how to fish.  It is about how to figure out how to fish.  Do it a lot, even if conditions like tide, weather, etc., say not to, and keep a record.  Another piece of advice in this vein is "do what works for you."

Exactly. Semantics can’t be argued when you pull up the pics of fish after fish in spots other people scratch their heads at. This method also really has you intimately learn the bottom contour of a given area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...