Fishing with Assrod

Rate this topic

ASrod

11 hours ago, ASrod said:

Tip of the day:

There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel.

What if the tunnel dead ends into a wall?

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

So ,Ass - rod ' , what have you to say for yourself ? These accusations sound serious and if true would disappoint me as I was beginning to think this was a real thing. I took this bait ? Hooked in the guts   Say it ain't so. 13 days   

Posted (edited)

Day 14:

Those who fish with me know that there are two areas in which I never fail to overlook are my FG knot and my terminal tackle (hooks, split rings, Tactical Angler Power clips in the 125 pound size).

As I was fueling up at the gas pump of my local Wawa, I couldn’t help but think that I was forgetting something. Something crucial, something important. But alas, I brushed it off as just being in the zone due to “As It Was” by Harry Styles was playing in the background on a continuous loop courtesy of Wawa’s Spotify playlist consisting of but three songs.

Just like clock work, I got out of my truck, put on my waders, snapped my belt shut and threw my bag over my shoulder. But still, something was missing. But what? I made my way out to the shoreline, armed with my Van Staal VSX-2 150 and my Lamiglas Infinity Surf 9’ 1-3, a superb rod for my plug of choice in this particular spot: the Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow 6 3/4” (floating) in SOS Yellow, but I prefer to call it “Fancy Chicken Scratch”. 

Now this lure already comes armed with VMC 9626 4X strong hooks, but I always go the extra mile and upgrade my hooks to Owner ST-66 due to their surgical sharpness as well as my split rings to SPRO Power Split Rings in size 6 (150lb) as you can never be too careful with split rings.

As I casted my plug in to the spot in which I thought to be the zone for a large trophy striped bass, again, that dread of forgetfulness was looming over me yet again. But that didn’t matter. The tide was perfect, the wind was spot on, and the lunar activity was downright exciting in more ways than one. No instance of forgetting to turn the stove off, feed the animals, text my wife back, or remembering to buy diapers could separate me from the rock I was standing on, and my sole mission of drilling my Daiwa SP Minnow with Owner ST-66 hooks through the jaw of a trophy. But that was the problem.

Then it happened. It was her, she was peeling line off of my Van Staal VSX-2 150 and she wasn’t stopping. I felt over powered, under gunned, and certainly needed to rely in this moment specifically on my hooks that they would stay buttoned as I awaited this scorching run to come to a halt. I gained back some of my line, and she ran again. And then I gained back some more, and she ran yet another time. But these runs continued to drop in intensity, and my hopefulness was starting to be restored. I pumped by Lamiglas Infinity Surf 9’ 1-3 towards me as I gained back a yard of line per pump, and I saw her gorgeous stripes in the moonlight. The most beautiful sight I had ever seen was the beauty of this majestic beast. My Rosemarie, my sweetness. It was you.

I finally had her within reaching distance, when all of the sudden, she was gone. I was broken, demoralized, and began weeping in to my Cabela’s Guidewear Waterproof jacket. 

I didn’t forget to feed the animals, turn off the stove, pick up diapers, or return my wife’s attempts to figure out where I was. I forgot to change the hooks on my Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow. I sit here with tears in my eyes pleading to all of you, to not make the same mistake I did. Please, please, please, change your hooks. 

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Always upgrade your hooks.

IMG_7987.jpeg

Edited by ASrod

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

Day 15:

With today’s cold winds along with the start of Triduum of Holy Week, I decided to spend the day tending to family affairs as I love doing around Easter.

Although, I did add a fishing buddy to the equation. Since T-Bone ghosted me, I decided to add a more permanent component. Meet, Leo. 

I will be back on the water soon, but until then, I hope everybody has had a splendid week.

IMG_8002.jpeg

Day 16:

Last night I set out to recreate what had yielded the loss of what would have been my personal best. I geared up my Lamiglas Infinity 10’ 2-5, Van Staal VSX250, and my upgraded Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow (6 3/4”, floating) with 2/0 Owner ST-66 Hooks and Size 6 (150lb) SPRO power split rings. 

I walked the entire shoreline half a dozen times over the course of my four hour trip, casting an innumerable amount times in each strike zone. I was all alone, exhausted, not another sign of life for miles in this remote stretch of the Atlantic. At the end of my trip, I had noticed a fray in my line and decided to call it a night.

When I got back to my car, I said to myself “you know what, let’s re-tie my 50 pound Power Pro braid on to a new 80 pound mono leader with a 24 wrap FG knot, completed with a 6 turn rizzuto finish, and give it 10 more minutes. 10 minutes passed, it was time to go home. And I said, that’s it: last cast. And then it was as if time stopped and it happened again. I was tangling with her, my love, my Rosemarie. The same story once again with a IMG_6644.jpeg.dc48ca094537acd84807284747f76cc3.jpegdifferent ending.

After approximately 5 minutes, I was able to stop her in her tracks. With the upgrade from my 9 footer to my borderline overpowered 10 footer, I was able to beach a cow in the high 40-inch range. She was just as beautiful as you could imagine, fat as could be. My only regret was not having my beloved T-Bone with me to snap the photo.

My main takeaways weren’t that it was a high quality fish, or that my ego had been reassured as one of the top anglers on the east coast, but it was the effort and persistence that I was able to put forward to be able to make this happen.

A friendly reminder to all as today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Persistence pays off.

19 hours ago, ASrod said:

Day 15:

With today’s cold winds along with the start of Triduum of Holy Week, I decided to spend the day tending to family affairs as I love doing around Easter.

Although, I did add a fishing buddy to the equation. Since T-Bone ghosted me, I decided to add a more permanent component. Meet, Leo. 

I will be back on the water soon, but until then, I hope everybody has had a splendid week.

IMG_8002.jpeg

Better buy a dyson. Friend had one. They shed. A lot. Like build a new dog every few days a lot.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

Day 16:

Last night I set out to recreate what had yielded the loss of what would have been my personal best. I geared up my Lamiglas Infinity 10’ 2-5, Van Staal VSX250, and my upgraded Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow (6 3/4”, floating) with 2/0 Owner ST-66 Hooks and Size 6 (150lb) SPRO power split rings. 

I walked the entire shoreline half a dozen times over the course of my four hour trip, casting an innumerable amount times in each strike zone. I was all alone, exhausted, not another sign of life for miles in this remote stretch of the Atlantic. At the end of my trip, I had noticed a fray in my line and decided to call it a night.

When I got back to my car, I said to myself “you know what, let’s re-tie my 50 pound Power Pro braid on to a new 80 pound mono leader with a 24 wrap FG knot, completed with a 6 turn rizzuto finish, and give it 10 more minutes. 10 minutes passed, it was time to go home. And I said, that’s it: last cast. And then it was as if time stopped and it happened again. I was tangling with her, my love, my Rosemarie. The same story once again with a IMG_6644.jpeg.dc48ca094537acd84807284747f76cc3.jpegdifferent ending.

After approximately 5 minutes, I was able to stop her in her tracks. With the upgrade from my 9 footer to my borderline overpowered 10 footer, I was able to beach a cow in the high 40-inch range. She was just as beautiful as you could imagine, fat as could be. My only regret was not having my beloved T-Bone with me to snap the photo.

My main takeaways weren’t that it was a high quality fish, or that my ego had been reassured as one of the top anglers on the east coast, but it was the effort and persistence that I was able to put forward to be able to make this happen.

Persistence pays off.

Hey nice fish,  happy Easter, 

PM me your address and I'll send you a plug....

troll #122  <*)))<

3 hours ago, ASrod said:

Day 16:

Persistence pays off.

Great fish man congrats