Fishing with Assrod

Rate this topic

ASrod

Day 5:

Things took a turn for the worst as what was forecasted as promising spring warmth turned in to a rewind of the winter cold. Although I was nestled in my Snuggie on the couch enjoying my favorite movie, The Notebook, I felt the strong and uncontrollable urge building up to grab my rod and head to the water.

The back bays were pleasantly mild, and I was able to find some seagulls (an aquatic species of bird) diving on the water which was a superb reference point as to where I should aim my No Live Bait Needed 5 inch bait with a healthy smear of Menhaden scented Pro-Cure.

I was tickled with joy when I felt my lure fall captive in to the jaws of a high quality fish, presumably on her way to fatten up before she spawns. I can’t help but tear up as I reflect on both the majestic beauty, as well as the intention behind everything they do.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

No matter how cozy you are watching tv, there’s always fish just waiting to feedIMG_7679.jpeg.26edad5f742e4dacb5f531d9b2e16d46.jpeg

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

Dear assrod, 

As someone who was newly married at one time and wanted to make it known, that this hunk was NLA, i wore my wedding ring everywhere. This worked quite well until i went to unhook a really frisky lady and the treble on my haskell musky minnow got stuck under my anti harlot ring. It was quite excruciating.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

16 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Dear assrod, 

As someone who was newly married at one time and wanted to make it known, that this hunk was NLA, i wore my wedding ring everywhere. This worked quite well until i went to unhook a really frisky lady and the treble on my haskell musky minnow got stuck under my anti harlot ring. It was quite excruciating.

I lost mine two weeks into my marriage on the waters edge releasing a quality striper.  My wife bless her understood and got me another stat. Lesson learned never wear your wedding ring when your on a hot bite. Good job on the fish ASrod

Little Alex, all grown up. :clap: 

Wait til the little guy is old enough to fish. You'll be leaving your rod home for a while. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

On 3/15/2024 at 5:02 PM, ASrod said:

I’m back and better than ever, baby!

Shouldn't you be out chasing ladies or did you skip that part and just stick with the fish?

Day 6:

With the weather seemingly on the upswing back in to seeming more like spring again, I spent the better part of day gardening and then baking some loaves of sourdough as a key component for the hors d'oeuvres I prepared for my wife’s book club meeting.

After performing my duties and packing the car, I was well on my way to one of my favorite little fishing holes in the entire world.

My weapon of choice was none other than my Van Staal VSX-2 150 (spooled with 30 pound Suffix 832 braided line), and my Lamiglas Infinity Surf 9’ 1-3 which is a superb rod for this method of fishing where the objective is to cast as far in to a rip as possible (this is accomplished with a Daiwa 6” SP Minnow, floating model).

I was able to properly work the underwater structure thanks to the high quality construction of the rod and reel I opted to use, as well as the wind and tide conditions furthering my advantage over the fish.

After a long two hours of fishing relentlessly, I was able to catch a trophy 30 inch striper! This fish tested both the abilities of my tackle as well as my abilities as a fisherman, and will always be a fish I look back to when I think about times where I needed to impart technique and expertise to provoke a bite.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

The rod and reel you choose can have an impact on the fish you catch.

IMG_7790.jpeg

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:34 AM, ASrod said:

Day 1:

I pondered life as I sat on the shoreline reading my favorite John Skinner novel, and awaited surface action to indicate the presence of juvenile menhaden (also known as peanut bunker). I casted my plug along the outside of the school and worked it back towards me about three times before determining that there were no feeding striped bass just below this school of juvenile menhaden. Until next time.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day: never go fishing without your favorite novel.

Will update tomorrow.

Probably because there are no striped bass left in the Chesapeake.