Fishing with Assrod

Rate this topic

ASrod

Posted (edited)

Day 116:

As I was very much anticipating today’s excursion to a spot where migratory stripers are being plucked from the surf on a daily basis. As I was was about to depart for a spot approximately 150 miles north of my dwelling chambers, a bomb was dropped on me.

Car was packed, leaders were tied, plugs meticulously selected and placed in my gear up 3 tube surf bag as well as my belt bag, a 2 tube “short” gear up. It was today, at the very last moment prior to leaving my home that my wife decided to tell me that SHE was appointed the new coordinator for Monday night book club. At last, I thought this nightmare was over and that my balls would be out of the nightstand and my body out of the kitchen for this one treacherous night per week.

As each chubby fingered wine mom entered my domicile in a single file manner, I couldn’t help but feel a deep sense of disgust towards all of them. Not only were there walking land whales in my own home, but they were so easily able to write off their long time leader of over 5 years just a mere week after her tragic brain aneurism. My least favorite of the bunch, Carol, was particularly tipsy tonight and would not stop engulfing the freshly baked cherry marzipan scones (gluttonous ****) that I so generously prepared for my darling wife who had risen to power.

Once again, I am truly appalled that they were able to so easily get over the tragic passing of the former coordinator of their book club. Maybe I’m just sensitive as after all these months, the memories of T-Bone (not dead) keep me awake at night. If I could only wipe the crusted salt off of his face just one last time, or share a rock on outgoing tide in a boulder field once more. Those were the days.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Don’t be heartless.

Edited by ASrod

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

Posted (edited)

Day 117:

Although I wasn’t permitted by my (not so) better half who was riding a newly discovered power high to go to the unnamed fishing spot several hundred miles away, I was able to find some fish in the miserable heat nearby.

I knew that today was going to be tough, so I opted to take with me the one setup that has never failed me at this particular spot. My St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” Heavy, with my Shimano Saragosa 6000 spooled with 30 pound Power Pro Braided Line (yellow), and a 60 pound leader of Ande Mono (clear).

To this I used a loop knot to secure a 2oz jighead and guided this jighead through a 6” Tsunamis Holographic Shad Body (sea trout), to which I smothered with Pro-Cure Scented Gel (menhaden). Ah yes, pro-cure. A wise (not as wise as me) fisherman once told me, “the only thing wrong with pro-cure is that the bottle opening isn’t big enough to cram an entire bait inside.”, and these words stuck with me throughout the years. 

As I strutted down a man made fishing structure known as a pier with my gear in hand, many familiar faces saw me and knew that I meant business. Multiple fisherman tried to follow me to my spot and were promptly stopped by the delightfully ethnic gentlemen who dwell on that pier rain, snow, or shine. They guarded my section off and exclaimed “stay in your lane and let that boy cook”. They were real for that.

By the end of my hour long trip, I had an innumerable number of schoolie bass, including a 31 inch cow striper which was a one in a billion catch in this devastating summer heat. Unfortunately, one of my catches was sickly, which was a perfect representation of the ailment known as mycobacteriosis which is a bacteria made popular through the honorable mention in a John Skinner video from over a decade ago.

All in all, today was a successful summer day for many reasons, and not just the catches.

Let me cook.

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

Edited by ASrod

I sincerely hope you headed the warnings, "throughly disinfect you hands after touching and under no circumstances consume any of it's flesh".

6 hours ago, ASrod said:

Day 117:

Although I wasn’t permitted by my (not so) better half who was riding a newly discovered power high to go to the unnamed fishing spot several hundred miles away, I was able to find some fish in the miserable heat nearby.

I knew that today was going to be tough, so I opted to take with me the one setup that has never failed me at this particular spot. My St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” Heavy, with my Shimano Saragosa 6000 spooled with 30 pound Power Pro Braided Line (yellow), and a 60 pound leader of Ande Mono (clear).

To this I used a loop knot to secure a 2oz jighead and guided this jighead through a 6” Tsunamis Holographic Shad Body (sea trout), to which I smothered with Pro-Cure Scented Gel (menhaden). Ah yes, pro-cure. A wise (not as wise as me) fisherman once told me, “the only thing wrong with pro-cure is that the bottle opening isn’t big enough to cram an entire bait inside.”, and these words stuck with me throughout the years. 

As I strutted down a man made fishing structure known as a pier with my gear in hand, many familiar faces saw me and knew that I meant business. Multiple fisherman tried to follow me to my spot and were promptly stopped by the delightfully ethnic gentlemen who dwell on that pier rain, snow, or shine. They guarded my section off and exclaimed “stay in your lane and let that boy cook”. They were real for that.

By the end of my hour long trip, I had an innumerable number of schoolie bass, including a 31 inch cow striper which was a one in a billion catch in this devastating summer heat. Unfortunately, one of my catches was sickly, which was a perfect representation of the ailment known as mycobacteriosis which is a bacteria made popular through the honorable mention in a John Skinner video from over a decade ago.

All in all, today was a successful summer day for many reasons, and not just the catches.

Let me cook.

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

Home you didn't touch that one

Looks like alot of pain for that poor thing.

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

Posted (edited)

Day 118:

No fishing today for Senpai Assrod because the sun made me go big booboo owie on my sensitive man skin.

I am many things, but tolerant to a wicked sunburn is not one of them. Although I tend to tan like a perfectly golden chocolate chip cookie, the process of becoming a delicacy is a painful one. So when I fish during the day this time of year which is typically the only time I can find in my complex and busy days, I get the biggest owie sun burn and it hurts really really bad.

I heard many positive reports from some of my friends who are more naturally inclined to defeat the sun due to their heritage and naturally instilled abilities of sending UV rays to the fishermen like me, but I was not able to join in on the fishing slam due to my poor blistered skin.

I’ve tried it all. Sunscreen, long sleeve fishing apparel, hats, mud, aloe vera. I could go on for hours. But that’s just the downside of being special like me, life is a roller coaster and there are ups and downs from the paparazzi to nature itself having it out for me. It just pleases me greatly to anticipate how close we are to welcoming the fall run. Just a mere few months to show time, and comfortable weather.

When pookie bear sun gives the owie, just stay home.

Edited by ASrod

On 7/10/2024 at 4:04 PM, MikeMc said:

He can certainly turn a phrase. :laugh: 

Haven’t checked in on the idol for a few days. Wordsmith and photographer par none 

Day 119:

I would like to take the time to once again expose another one of the many downsides of being the most legendary fisherman on the planet of all time.

Pictured is my beautiful self, using my Lamiglas Infinity 10’ 2-5 (one piece) and a Van Staal VSX250 spooled with 50 pound power pro (yellow) and a 60 pound mono leader (Ande, clear). Notice how empty the beach environment was as I worked my way up and down in search for a trophy cow striper that was at least comparable to my last catch at a staggering 31 inches (wow).

There were indeed a couple of scattered fishermen as well as the usual paparazzi just keeping an eye on what it was that I was doing, but it has become so standard that I paid no mind and continued on with my hunt. With seagulls in the distance and bunker pods around, what could go wrong? I mean, I am on the oceanic seaside so if stripers are a bust, fluke are a delightful backup plan.

Oh how wrong I was to disregard those around me. I should have remembered who I am and the crowds in which I’m capable of pulling. There must have been 3000 anglers that came out of nowhere once word got out that I was in town, and every single one of them bombarded me with questions, autograph requests, and sad attempts at imitating my every last move and intruding on my personal space. Don’t get me wrong, I love every one of you and would take a bullet for any of you without a singular hesitation. But when I am in my element, leave me be to my craft. As I expressed the other day, I need to cook.

Although I may be coming off as strict or abrasive about this very important matter, I want to encourage anybody who sees me out in public to say hello and never be afraid to ask for guidance, an autograph, or even a quick selfie. But please leave me to my craft when I am trying to catch the 31” fish of a lifetime as this is when I am hyper-fixated on achieving my objectives.

Photographed below is a before and after fishermen learned about my whereabouts.

Give Assrod some breathing room.

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

Day 120:

I am currently parked outside of a truck stop while returning from my two day bender to the beautiful oceanfront of the east coast. From the people, the food, the culture, and the fishing, it was an all around delightful experience.

Although it was still fairly warm and swampy weather, I had no issues staying nice and cool with the help of my breathable Bass Pro Montauk II Waders as I have written about numerous times. In addition, the cool oceanic breeze was a perfect relief from the sunlight which I tried my best to guard myself from.

Unfortunately, even the good trips have their ups and downs. I ran in to a fairly catastrophic issue while fishing this morning in the early AM which left me feeling suffocated by my emotions and desperate to find a resolution. My beloved Van Staal VSX200 (black) which was spooled with 50 pound Power Pro Braided Line (yellow) encountered a wind knot, and this reel is no longer spooled with 50 pound yellow Power Pro, let alone any line! What am I to do? Am I just supposed to get new 50 pound power pro in yellow, or am I stuck considering new options to avoid this mess in the future? Ugh, this is my punishment for getting cocky.

Don't be too cocky 

Edited by ASrod