Fishing with Assrod

Rate this topic

ASrod

Day 88:

Today I experienced a tragedy while on the water with my boy. In fact, it was a defining moment in my fatherhood.

Today me and my son set out with his brand new setup: a Penn Squadron III 7’ Medium, and a Shimano Sienna 4000 spooled with exactly 150 yards of 20 pound moss green Power Pro (from Walmart). Today’s objective was for Dominic (my boy) to catch up some live-lining sized spot for me to put on my live lining setup, a Shimano Baitrunner 4500b and an unknown custom 6’6” rod that has been passed down for generations, and someday to my boy.

He succeeded in filling the live well, and I began hooking the fish through the dorsal fin and dropping them in to structure. Upon our first drop, I caught a hefty striper in the mid 20 inch range, but there was a problem.

The spot was still attached to the 7/0 circle hook that was embedded in the corner of the striper’s mouth, barely clinging to life without a single scale left on its body.

My son looked at me and asked “daddy, is the spot fish going to die?” And I said “probably son, let’s use him for bait.” And he promptly stopped me and asked me to save him, so how could I ignore this request of such a pure minded young lad? We let the fish “swim” away, but it ended up just going belly up. My son finally looked at me once more tugging my shirt and said “daddy, daddy, do fish go to heaven?”, so I gave him a simple answer:

The soul is the principle of life. Since animals and plants are living things, they have souls, but not in the sense in which human beings have souls. Our souls are rational–theirs aren’t–and ours are rational because they’re spiritual, not material. Animals and plants can’t do anything which transcends the limitations of matter. Although some animals seem clever, they don’t actually possess conceptional intelligence. They can’t, for instance, conceive of the abstract notion of justice.  Animals and plants also lack a moral sense. When you scold Spot for chewing the carpet and tell him what he did was “wrong,” you aren’t assigning guilt of sin to him, since he can’t commit a sin.  Animal and vegetable souls are dependent entirely on matter for their operation and being. They cease to exist at death. (There’s no “doggie heaven.”)  Human souls, by contrast, aren’t material. They’re spiritual. Only a spirit can know and love, a spirit’s two chief faculties being the intellect (which knows) and the will (which loves). We know human souls are spiritual since humans can know and love.  We also know human souls are immortal because spirits can’t decompose. They have no parts: Only a thing with parts can fall apart. A spirit is a unit. It has no top or bottom, no left or right, no inside or outside.  Every bit of matter, even the smallest, has parts. The human body can decompose–it’s made of matter, after all–but the human soul can’t. That’s why we say it’s immortal.  

In short, animals do not have rational souls and therefore some theologians will say that dead animals will go to limbo of the infants and provide material happiness to those who haven’t attained the beatific vision.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Learn something new whenever you have the chance.

Edited by ASrod

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

Day 89:

During today’s fishing trip, I had the opportunity to observe many different cultures of fishermen all in one stretch of beach in the beautiful Long Beach Island, New Jersey.

To my immense delight, not only was I able to be joined by my bride on a rare occurrence where book club, private tennis lessons with the young gun coach my wife recently hired, and domestic house chickens aren’t a burden in our already extremely hectic week, we were able to slip away to the Jersey shore to perhaps find a multitude of different species in an open beach atmosphere.

I had my wife plant her tush alongside my 12’ bait setup (a shimano speed master and a Penn Fathom 15 Casting Special) to hopefully find a fish in need of a scrumptious delicious yum yum passing by, while I casted my St. Croix Legend Surf 10’6” 1-6 paired with my Van Staal VSX250 (black) spooled with 50lb power pro braided line (yellow).

While we awaited the fish to make a move on the Michelin star level Atlantic menhaden chunks in which we presented between the first and second sand bars in close proximity to a channel ledge, we observed the many different fishermen all trying something different. It was truly a humbling experience of foreign culture and ethnic diversity. Borderline sensual.

By the end of the day, we finished the trip going 0 for 7 on bites but it was a lovely experience nonetheless. It just goes to show that it truly isn’t always about the fish you catch.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Memories are always trophy catches.

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:47 PM, Mr.Belmar said:

Ohhh man … I seriously couldn’t stop laughing here… 

i haven’t really followed this thread except when I’m a bit bored and needed a laugh… but really?!? I have definitely seen @linesiderdemdnj picture somewhere before, possibly on here… but that’s absolutely hilarious 

i wonder what his next post is going to be? Will @ASrod reply and refute the picture-and suggest that linesliderdemdnj actually stole his picture? I mean which one is the original? Why doesn’t @ASrod ever reply to anyone ? 

another attention seeker

On 6/5/2024 at 5:05 PM, hydraman said:

I don’t know how he comes back after this. Is this his old friend he always talks about. Assrod is really just a mental patient living out a fantasy? This is gold.  

Do you know this guy? Other than from SOL. 

other than sol he is a friend of one of my friends.  idk why, but he is.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:03 PM, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

Some friendly advice. Not only is Assrod the worlds greatest surf fisherman he is also a 6'5" world class athlete so you may want to watch your tone when speaking to him or about him. You wouldn't want to run into him after speaking to him in such an unflattering manner.

so i need to watch out calling him out using one of my picture because he is an athlete?  i don't think so.

On 6/6/2024 at 9:53 AM, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

Guys, let me try to explain something. Since assrods horrible break-up with T-bone he's been fishing alone so there's no-one to take pictures of his catches so in an attempt to make this thread more interesting he may or may not have taken a little artistic liberty with the pictures he's been posting. He may or may not have found pictures similar to the fish he's been catching and altered them slightly to fit the narrative of this thread strictly for your benefit! So just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

covering for an attention seeking photoshopper of other peoples pictures?  i guess attention seekers stick together and cover each others asses.

1 hour ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

another attention seeker

so i need to watch out calling him out using one of my picture because he is an athlete?  i don't think so.

covering for an attention seeking photoshopper of other peoples pictures?  i guess attention seekers stick together and cover each others asses.

Martin Scorsese Compares Marvel Superhero Films to "Theme Park Rides ...