Fishing with Assrod

Rate this topic

ASrod

Posted (edited)

Day 67:

Every Monday I seem to do something on the slightly fruity side that makes even myself just a little uncomfortable. Whether it be planting flowers, baking for my wife’s book club, or tending to our domesticated house chickens. It seems to be a Monday trend without skipping a beat.

Today’s events that occurred were consistent with the pattern just like you can rely on a humongous striped bass to be ready to engulf an adult bunker (Atlantic menhaden) at a consistent point of the tide cycle. Today however, makes me shudder just reminding myself about it. 

While I was getting ready to hit the water, I was rejuvenating myself after a long day’s work by shoving Five Guys meat down the hatch. There, I said it. Five Guys, in my mouth. Say it out loud just one more time. Five. Guys. In. My. Mouth. Not one at a time either. All at once. Gross. Absolutely repulsive just to say it out loud, just imagine reliving this experience. And of course, by no means do I quite literally mean the meat of five different guys. I would never do such a thing to T-Bone. 

What I meant was the high quality beef patties and fresh cut French fries from the Five Guys dining establishment. Their fast service and quality ingredients always keep me fueled up and ready to go just like Dunkin’ does when I’m in need of a caffeine boost. I need to be abundantly clear regarding the nature of this post. In no way was any part of this supposed to come off as homosexual/homoerotic/questionable in any way. I’m just a fisherman describing his experience with the meat of Five Guys.

Today’s lesson/tip of the day:

Be careful how you word your posts.

IMG_0371.jpeg

Edited by ASrod

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

Day 68:

On the eve of day 69, I thought I’d take some time away from testing out various sorts of meat and discuss a brief summary of the fishing trip that followed my meat fest.

I headed to a new spot that I’ve never even thought about fishing before. This spot isn’t known for being productive on the fishing front, but it does have a hell of a view. This spot has it all from an oceanfront side, a cove, tons of rocks, a lighthouse, and a bluff.

I casted my 1 ounce bucktail, and to my surprise I was greeted with a hit, but no hookup. And again on my second through fourth casts. After that, the bite seemingly went dead.

I drove 7 hours to get to this spot, and promptly drove back as I didn’t have much time to waste on a fishless spot. I guess this means that we’re one location closer to finding my 50.

Keep searching and you will eventually find.

Posted (edited)

Day 69:

Yes, you read that right you filthy bastards. It’s day 69. It also just so happens to be the eve of the May full moon which happens to be a pivoting point in the New England fisheries. 

New England’s fishery has a lot to do with this special day, post 69. In fact, it’s not often that you have an array of fishy canals to choose from when deciding on your pick of the day. I mean, not to be vulgar, but who doesn’t love a fishy canal? The downside of many fishy canals, especially the Cape Cod Canal, is that you need an above average length surf rod to properly work the deepest areas and get down in there. When I fish the canal, I typically use either my Lamiglas Infinity Surf 10’ 2-5, or borrow a rod from a friend (not T-Bone) who has much better suited equipment to really steal the show in any canal environment.

In the near future, I plan on hopefully enhancing my rod so that it would be adequate for canal usage. I currently have my sights set on a 1st Gen Legend Surf 10’6” 1-6 that would be the most optimal make and model for the objective in mind whether it be gigantic Florida tarpon, or New England canal bass. It will fill the void that my lineup so desperately needs filled. And a nice long and beefy rod will be the void filler I need.

With all of these things to be taken in to consideration, I personally would like to remind everybody to practice safe fishing, and never throw a fish back in to the canal from the top of the rocks whether it be a 20 incher or 20 pounder. Always take your time in the revival process and make sure that she swims away strong.

Photographed below:

Me getting humbled by giant.

Don’t be ashamed of having a short rod.

IMG_0462.jpeg

Edited by ASrod

Posted (edited)

Day 70:

Yesterday I played with some kitty cats in a stinky and dirty canal while trying to find some large striped bass in New England.

I always make it a point to use protection when I’m in a dirty canal. I do this for various reasons such as preventing the spread of diseases, and I don’t know who else was in that canal before me. My go-to for this is to wear my White River Fly Shop Montauk II Waders to protect myself against nasty water as well as the various bugs and plants that pose a danger to my wellbeing.

Due to the water clarity that I was dealing with, I had to go over my options and figure out my best strategy in getting these fish to bite. My final choice was to use a 6” Tsunami Shad (chartreuse, with the new and improved SaltX hooks), and deliver these to the fish using my St. Croix Legend Surf 9’ 1-4 Mod. Fast paired with my Van Staal VSX200 spooled with 50 pound power pro braid (yellow) and a 36 inch leader of 80 pound Ande monofilament.

I find it to be a riveting adventure to end up having a home run of a trip even when you do not get to tangle with the targeted species. There’s a certain level of quality as well as beauty involved with being one on one in nature with the highest member of the food chain at that current moment, and it gave me a new appreciation for playing with stinky kitties. I hope that all of you can experience this newly discovered treasure, and have your turn to have a blast in a dirty canal.

Never say no to playing with kitties no matter how smelly they might be.

IMG_0510.jpeg

Edited by ASrod

Day 71:

After an all nighter of chasing after the most humongous of fish, unsuccessfully, I currently find myself loitering in a Wawa parking lot eating the most delightful of sub sandwiches.

It’s the little things like this that make it all worth it. The food, the culture, the adventure, the whole package.

Current status is that I’m still on the water for the next several hours, updates to come if they’re worth it.

Always update your fans from the field.

11 hours ago, ASrod said:

Day 71:

After an all nighter of chasing after the most humongous of fish, unsuccessfully, I currently find myself loitering in a Wawa parking lot eating the most delightful of sub sandwiches.

It’s the little things like this that make it all worth it. The food, the culture, the adventure, the whole package.

Current status is that I’m still on the water for the next several hours, updates to come if they’re worth it.

Always update your fans from the field.

Pics are a bonus 

troll #122  <*)))<

Day 72:

After a long, stressful fishing trip filled with ups and downs, I took a brief car nap and headed home after cutting my losses after a very awkward situation.

After my first fishing session prior to my late Day 71 update, I decided to take a brief car nap. This refreshed me for the day session, with the help of a grape flavored Celsius energy drink, and a Slim Jim Savage sized meat sick. However, the Celsius wasn’t quite strong enough, so I decided that the best course of action was to follow up with another hit of caffeine by heading over to the Wawa where I grabbed myself a cup of their premium coffee at the self serve bar towards the back of the establishment. However, just alongside me at the coffee station was a very well presented and easy on the eye woman in her twenties, as well as a shady man in his thirties. I just moved along with my coffee acquisition and turned around to place the bottle of French Vanilla creamer back in its appropriate position.

Upon returning to my vehicle and taking my first sip, I wasn’t greeted with the aesthetic Maxwell House Moment that I was expecting. In fact, I was greeted by both the aroma and flavor of hazelnut, which was not what I was intending to acquire. But I was tired, cranky, and didn’t care enough to replace what was more than likely just the coffee that the lady next to me was preparing at the self service coffee station at Wawa.

I believe that I may have been slipped something in my coffee, because the first fish that I caught during the day session looked at me and said “why did you just stick me with that hook you a**hole?”, to which I replied “because I can, dum(bass).” And then all I remember from there is waking up in my car from yet another car nap before making my way back home. It was a very interesting adventure to say the very least, and I hope you can all learn from my mistake of finishing the cup of coffee from the Wawa self service coffee bar.

Always be careful. Always.

Posted (edited)

Day 73:

I didn’t bother going fishing today. I tried, but I couldn’t. The crowds of people were so severe and the fishing downright sucked. However, I introduced my new rod to the rest of my lineup: a St. Croix Legend Surf 10’6” 1-6oz what I will use with my VSX250 until discerning a reel for my bare rod (the infinity 10’ 2-5).

I encourage all of my adoring fans to stay safe this Memorial Day, and spend it with those you love.

Drink responsibly.

Edited by ASrod

Day 74:

Since there was a combination of beach crowds sunning themselves in my fishing spot, and lightning in the general area, I tried to take my mind off of the lack of fishability by attending a Memorial Day barbecue.

This barbecue was intended to be an immediate family event only. No extended relatives, cousins, aunts, family friends, or significant others of family members. However, some people didn’t get the memo, and upon my arrival to the function, I was greeted by a miserable sight: an out of state license plate. 

It wasn’t a jersey plate, but it may as well have been. I won’t go in to detail, but the cornfield dwelling inbreds that separate the sheep from the goats (the P word between MD and NJ) have began to not only invade my fishing spots, but they’ve also found their way in to the residence of my poor, old, and feeble parents who I rarely get to visit as it is.

My sister, bless her soul, is a little bit of an airhead. It’s nothing against her personally, it’s just the way that things are. I tolerate a lot as both a genius of a fisherman, and as her brother. But to the Memorial Day function earlier this afternoon, she brought along a male human person, for anonymity will go by the name “Pelirrojo” and greeted me with “don’t freak out, just hear my suggestion”. Somehow, my wife had told my family that I was taking the fishuationship breakup with T-Bone especially hard, and before I was even ready to talk about it to anybody, they tried to introduce this nobody in to my life. They wanted me to allow this person to be my new fishing partner and enter in to a fishuationship with him. He even interrupted and asked what kind of species were a viable target right now without even asking my name. The audacity!

I am not ready to move on. The doors have not been closed, this chapter has not ended. How dare somebody try to force me to move past this era in my life and plot some petty intervention behind my back? They’re dead to me for the time being as I process what just happened, until then, I will be on the beach with my rod (specifically my G-Loomis IMX Pro Jig and Worm 7’1” and Shimano Stradic 5000 spooled with 20lb power pro braid in yellow, 20lb mono leader, and a 3” NLBN swim bait on a 1/4oz jighead both in chartreuse).

Never let anyone set you up on a blind fishing date. 

Day 75:

As I reflect on the first 75 percent of the first 100 posts made in this thread, I have to keep reminding myself that these posts will never be identified as a percentage over, and that they are here to stay. Under the close watch of SOL admins and moderators who I have to thank for making all of this possible, none of it was really ever possible without you the fans. I will hopefully soon be the proud custodian of this website once Timothy S hands over the buttons to this fine establishment, but until then, we will keep fishing and stop bishin’.

You see, growing up I didn’t have any friends. Not even one. You could technically count my childhood dog, but even she ended up trying to maul me at one point or another. With nobody left or around me, I made friends with the bugs and animals, then eventually the fish. I vowed to never harm a fish in my life, but then developed a taste for blood when J entered in to my Bucky the Fish Slayer phase. Between me and T-Bone, we used to keep our limit every single trip (photographed below).

It didn’t matter if it was a croaker, striper, bluefish, spot, puppy drum, flounder, or otherwise. If he (or she) was legal, he (or she) would be coming home with us to our bachelor pad. Of course I would never break any laws while bringing em’ home, I sure raised eyebrows with the sheer volume of those who would make my hands dirty in more ways than one.

But as a repentant fish slayer, I have learned from my mistakes and evolved in to the most prestigious angler of all time. This piece of the puzzle which is my story is a very important part of who I am as a fisherman, and a person. So with every drag pull, every hook set, and every release, I am just cementing my name in the history books.

Every sinner has a future, and every saint has a past. 

IMG_0723.jpeg

Day 76:

Today, on my usual commute to work I reconnected with a deep and longing desire that penetrated my intellect. This desire was that of the one I had approximately 2 weeks ago, but I got side tracked by the full moon calling my name and repeating “Alex, the bass”.

My desire is truly to catch an abundance of inshore species on my 3” No Live Bait Needed and light tackle setup. It is in fact such an overpowering desire that I’ve made little to no time for family life and my son ceased to refer to me as “dad” and addresses me by my first name. Although this is a sad occurrence, it is necessary for both his development as a child, and my evolvement as a prestigious legend of an angler.

Even today, my wife looked at me and said “can you just take your son with you once every blue moon? It won’t kill you.” to which I responded “silence woman, back to the kitchen with you!”. I think as a man, it’s important to keep our women accountable in their vocations and the duties that come along with them. The expectation to pull time out of my precious day to burden myself with the needs of either an illogical woman, or a child who doesn’t even remember what he had for breakfast is exhausting to say the very least.

Tomorrow when I set foot in to my favorite flats in the entire Atlantic coast in hopes for a 34 inch redfish in less than 2 feet of water, as well as a slam of multiple other species, I will credit this to my ability to always do what’s right, and prioritize tasks in accordance with justice. The family can wait, the fish will not.

Spare the belt, spoil the broad.