Jump to content

Osprey now... herring soon?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

48 mins ago, bdowning said:

 

They smell the stocked trout. :laugh:

I was waiting for that. You're right though, the timing is right. I'd still like to know how they knew it was early. I guess they can fly way up there and look down to see if there's ice.

 

To be fair to the trout stealing ospreys, there are now osprey nests near pretty much every body of water in Middlesex County. This is new in the past 10 years and something I had never seen since I became interested in them as a kid in the 70s. 

Although they definitely have developed a taste for trout, they feed heavily on bluegills, largemouth and probably all the other fish around. 

 

How long before they get put on the list of evil creatures that need to be controlled?

Edited by mikez2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, protein is protein, any fish will do. I actually think the cormorants give the ospreys a run for their money when it comes to trout consumption. The 'rants show up way inland too. I don't think I saw them up here when I was a youngster, let alone ospreys. 

Pfantum Pfishah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 mins ago, bdowning said:

Yup, protein is protein, any fish will do. I actually think the cormorants give the ospreys a run for their money when it comes to trout consumption. The 'rants show up way inland too. I don't think I saw them up here when I was a youngster, let alone ospreys. 

Agreed. I don't remember cormorants in the ponds either. Not just trout ponds either. I see them in surprisingly small warm water ponds as well. It shouldn't be a surprise really. There are so many bluegill and bass out there, there's enough for the birds, the otters and whoever else wants them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 mins ago, dickd said:

For whatever reason I’m far less offended when I see an Osprey snag a trout as opposed to a cormorant.

I've noticed that with a lot of people. I almost mentioned but I figured it was coming anyways so I left it happen on its own. 

 

I definitely like osprey better. Cormorant are not lovable birds in general. But I don't get offended when they eat trout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I was waiting for that. You're right though, the timing is right. I'd still like to know how they knew it was early. I guess they can fly way up there and look down to see if there's ice.

 

To be fair to the trout stealing ospreys, there are now osprey nests near pretty much every body of water in Middlesex County. This is new in the past 10 years and something I had never seen since I became interested in them as a kid in the 70s. 

Although they definitely have developed a taste for trout, they feed heavily on bluegills, largemouth and probably all the other fish around. 

 

How long before they get put on the list of evil creatures that need to be controlled?

Haha, or overburdened as the controllers of overpopulated species?!  lol... I must admit though, I am perennially amazed by how from fish alone (striped bass, fluke, herring, white perch, etc. that I've seen them come back with) that a bird can be raised from a strictly fish diet!  fish=bird

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 mins ago, ljschroe said:

Haha, or overburdened as the controllers of overpopulated species?!  lol... I must admit though, I am perennially amazed by how from fish alone (striped bass, fluke, herring, white perch, etc. that I've seen them come back with) that a bird can be raised from a strictly fish diet!  fish=bird

There's a barrier island near Pensacola Florida where a good sized forest was killed by salt water intrusion. It's a forest of dead trees where almost every single one is an osprey nest. I'd guess a hundred pairs of ospreys all clustered together like a heron rookery. All day long it's a steady stream of ospreys heading out and ospreys returning with fish. It was amazing to see so many in one place and boggles the mind to think how much fish it takes to keep them all fed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 mins ago, ljschroe said:

2 birds in the Silver Spring nest this morning...it's on!

Lucky them. I wish we didn’t have to wait until the 2nd Saturday of April to chase trout, but that, of course, is a whole other issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...