Osprey now... herring soon?

Rate this topic

This was posted yesterday on the Conanicut Island Raptor blog:

March 13, 2024: Female returns to the nest. Mating behavior observed.  Four osprey observed at Marsh Meadows, which is really early.

Pfantum Pfishah

22 hours ago, dickd said:

Yesterday was my first Osprey sighting. It was on a nest just north of the Sprague Bridge. 

There's a web cam on the nest closer to Middlebridge. Didn't see any ospreys there as of yesterday. Any hour now. :th:

Pfantum Pfishah

Man, it's like any minute now!  None of the cameras I watch have actually had anything that I've seen.  That includes the Clinton CT, Madison CT, Marsh Meadows (Jamestown), and even the Patchogue (LI, NY) cams.

Nor have I seen a bird in the Silver Spring nest since that first time.  That said, I have reports of them overhead in several locations in Narragansett and SK from a fellow spotter...

Some osprey have been seen inland in Massachusetts last week. Of course those ones aren't feeding on herring so it's the lack of ice probably brought them early. 

Although when I think about it, I wonder how they knew the ice was gone.

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Some osprey have been seen inland in Massachusetts last week. Of course those ones aren't feeding on herring so it's the lack of ice probably brought them early. 

Although when I think about it, I wonder how they knew the ice was gone.

They smell the stocked trout. :laugh:

Pfantum Pfishah