Thames River btw Norwich and Groton

Rate this topic

nuub

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dunknskunk said:

Fishing in the thames has been terrible for me this year and last

Have there been many stripers in the river this year? The spring season used to be great. 

44 mins ago, z-man said:

Have there been many stripers in the river this year? The spring season used to be great. 

Not many, its been an off year for sure. The guys trolling up and down the river are getting a few fish but that's about it. The herring runs have dried up and the bunker hasn't showed yet so any of the stragglers that the boat guys are getting are just coming into the river out of habit then quickly leaving. 

43 mins ago, dunknskunk said:

Not many, its been an off year for sure. The guys trolling up and down the river are getting a few fish but that's about it. The herring runs have dried up and the bunker hasn't showed yet so any of the stragglers that the boat guys are getting are just coming into the river out of habit then quickly leaving. 

Are there also not many holdovers any more?

the sound is full of butterfish and sandeels.  any bass still up in the thames is a moron, and anyone fishing for them there isn't paying attention.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

21 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

the sound is full of butterfish and sandeels.  any bass still up in the thames is a moron, and anyone fishing for them there isn't paying attention.

Have we always had butterfish?   I vaguely recall them being a thing in early 90s. Baitshops advertising fresh butterfish along with menhaden.  But can't really say I see that anymore.  Also I don't have the baitshop access like I used to.  They've dried up too. 

I've never had access to a boat so their could have been schools of them 300yds off the beach and I'd have never known.  

FWIW butterfish aren't bad eating. 

1 hour ago, PSeggs said:

Have we always had butterfish?   I vaguely recall them being a thing in early 90s. Baitshops advertising fresh butterfish along with menhaden.  But can't really say I see that anymore.  Also I don't have the baitshop access like I used to.  They've dried up too. 

I've never had access to a boat so their could have been schools of them 300yds off the beach and I'd have never known.  

FWIW butterfish aren't bad eating. 

I remember my father telling me that they were a fairly common summer catch in the western Sound (off Greenwich) during the late 1940s and early 1959s, but by the time I was alive and fishing, that fishery was gone, although I did catch a few small ones while smelt fishing off the Greenwich docks in November during the late 1960s.

I still fish up there a number of times each year, and butterfish were never on the radar.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I’ve come across butterfish multiple times over the years, either in the stomachs of fish that I caught or puked up by the fish while fishing. I’ve had this happen both spring(into June) and fall (October on). I’ve never seen them in the water (other than yoy). I’ve always thought that they’re present a lot more than they’re actually seen.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.