Thames River btw Norwich and Groton

Rate this topic

nuub

Do the Stripers still come up the Thames River, chasing the bait up to the Norwich Harbor/Greeneville dam.

Grew up and fished a good portion of my childhood and then adult life working in Groton and living in Lisbon fishing this once tremendous river. I've been gone for over 10 years living in the south and a family event has me traveling up in early April and was wondering if it was worth my time to bring a rod and get a temp license?  I have plenty to do when I'm there but can certainly find a few hours if needed, I miss my striper fishing.

I know there's many probably better venues in RI and or Mass, but I always liked the Thames and it's convenient for this trip. 

Heck 10 years ago it wasn't like it was even 20 years before that..lol

It's worse in SC, they don't come this far south ever...as a teenager growing up around the dam and the harbor  a Kastmaster or a Daredevle in red and white could pull a decent fish anywhere from shore and not a schoolie. We have some freshwater wipers but I haven't been healthy enough to go exploring that far inland from the coast.

I hate to be that guy but there were a few that caught them year round in our younger years even when we had to break ice at the ramp in the harbor, but we strictly fished C&R. When the interwebs came along every Tom, Dick and Harry was out there snagging the Schoolies and the connectivity for fish faltered then when it got better the seals found out how great it was. 

the thames fishery went to **** when they stopped operating the greenville dam herring lift continuously

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

1 hour ago, EBHarvey said:

the thames fishery went to **** when they stopped operating the greenville dam herring lift continuously

I think it went to **** after the laws were changed to (2) @ 28” and humans ate too many of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven’t caught a legal fish at the dam in years. Plenty of decent school bass last year I fished it. Moved out of state a few years back. A buddy of mine claims that he saw no herring at all last year. 

That place was such a cool fishery. Holdover salmon, big- BIG smallies, walleye. Heck, I hooked a monster Northern Pike right at my feet one year. Scared the beejesus out of me. And the stripers, man that was fun. I’ve hooked many that I could barely turn in high flows. They’d take you way downstream to land them. I was always amazed how many big fish would be in skinny water downstream from there too. Used to be 40”+ fish willing to crush a Redfin. Man I miss those days

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice

On 4/17/2024 at 9:24 AM, DeepWaters said:

I haven’t caught a legal fish at the dam in years. Plenty of decent school bass last year I fished it. Moved out of state a few years back. A buddy of mine claims that he saw no herring at all last year. 

That place was such a cool fishery. Holdover salmon, big- BIG smallies, walleye. Heck, I hooked a monster Northern Pike right at my feet one year. Scared the beejesus out of me. And the stripers, man that was fun. I’ve hooked many that I could barely turn in high flows. They’d take you way downstream to land them. I was always amazed how many big fish would be in skinny water downstream from there too. Used to be 40”+ fish willing to crush a Redfin. Man I miss those days

yup.  we had 50 fish days there regularly, and the 47" bass I caught there is still my personal best.  also had a huge pike smack a danny I had finished reeling in and was just hanging at my feet.  fun spot for sure.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:04 AM, John P said:

Things are changing I'm afraid. Steady decline for years now. I've given up hope of things changing any time soon.

I hope I'm wrong.

TAKE ACTION!!!!! .)))):>   River herring need our help NOW!!!

The best shot for now is join in and speak up!  NEFMC amendment 10 scoping webinar Monday April 22nd 6 -8 PM is the last chance to tell the your disappearing herring stories verbally .Go to nefmc.org  Their site has all the details and you can join the webinar for Monday night.  There is also instruction for written comment.  Take five minutes to write something up and send it in.  The deadline for written comments is Tuesday April 30th @ 8 AM. 

Stop Mid-water trawlers from taking these fish while staging to enter our spawning grounds.