are there bass around yet in early march?

Rate this topic

Now that it is finally march, and that I have purchased my first hobie outback I am itching to start catching some bass. I went out fishing last week using blood worms on some structure in 20ft of water but no luck , the water was 40degrees. I am in the west NY area and I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any luck or any really good bass in early march?  What depths and types of bottoms will be most productive for early season bass? What is the best bait? What water temp do the decent fish start hitting ? Thanks 

4 hours ago, John P said:

Be careful out there in 40 degree water ,If you go over it's likely to be over. Have a buddy with you at least.  It's pretty quiet out there this time of yr.

Definitely, I wear a fully dry suit and bring some extra safety items but I usually am solo but stay close to shore 

Fish are around. Can’t say I’ve seen anybody post any pictures here since opening day, I’ve personally seen pictures else where. Small fish. Water still cold, this coming week may warm things up. As another said since you’re kayaking, be safe, water could still be cold enough to cause hypothermia. Shallow water in backbays on a warmer day might be productive. I’d try small plastics. Or chunk some clam and bloodworms.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”