Assateague in April

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Forgot to ask…. MD. side or VA. ?

Maryland.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 3/9/2024 at 9:24 PM, luckyOC said:

Would be cool to meet you and share a few stories, black drum likely, they like sand fleas and peelers (usually that is early for peelers).  Depends on water temps… we used to have de bay or Hudson River fish come through, but those days are gone, there is always a chance….  April 23rd 2010 was a good day. 

No details or pictures of 4/23/2010? Lol! 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:51 PM, DerrickT said:

I can't even tell you the last time I caught a blue off the beach down there.

If somebody put a gun to my head and told me "catch a bluefish over 8 inches off the beach", I'd be dead. Maybe once a year I'll catch a 5 or 6 inch bluefish on the beach with a small chunk on a hi-lo rig. I've caught a couple nice ones while shad fishing though, guess they're just farther out on the beach.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

On 3/15/2024 at 5:58 AM, BLilly said:

Great, another page for them to never post updates to.

It's the same person running the Maryland NP  page on the maryland side, which is why the Twitter page never got updated last year.  Apparently nobody on the VA side wants to handle it and is relaying the closures to the Maryland side and they will post it on the new FB.

Edited by DerrickT

On 3/16/2024 at 12:26 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

If somebody put a gun to my head and told me "catch a bluefish over 8 inches off the beach", I'd be dead. Maybe once a year I'll catch a 5 or 6 inch bluefish on the beach with a small chunk on a hi-lo rig. I've caught a couple nice ones while shad fishing though, guess they're just farther out on the beach.

Yea I don't know what it is.  Maybe because they aren't eating crabs and sandfleas.  I can usually find a school of small ones out back in the boat pretty quick but out front for atleast the last 5 years they have evaded me.