Assateague in April

Rate this topic

Although plans haven't been completely finalized, it's possible that I might find myself in the Assateague area at some point in April.

I've never been there, and am curious whether it's worth the trouble of bringing any fishing gear along.

Thanks.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Thanks.

I suspect that if I end up down there, it will be during the second half of the month

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

First time I was on AI was in April and it was downright hot, but usually not. If you are able and have a proper vehicle, get an OSV pass to fish the “better” parts of the island.  
Black drum should be your target with a possibility of a striper. Can use the same bait (fleas) and rig for both. Do a search on black drum and also April fishing reports in this forum. 
Caution - fishing on Assateague Island can be addictive. 

ASSUME NOTHING

Just now, Catskill John said:

First time I was on AI was in April and it was downright hot, but usually not. If you are able and have a proper vehicle, get an OSV pass to fish the “better” parts of the island.  
Black drum should be your target with a possibility of a striper. Can use the same bait (fleas) and rig for both. Do a search on black drum and also April fishing reports in this forum. 
Caution - fishing on Assateague Island can be addictive. 

Thanks.

Would be cool to meet you and share a few stories, black drum likely, they like sand fleas and peelers (usually that is early for peelers).  Depends on water temps… we used to have de bay or Hudson River fish come through, but those days are gone, there is always a chance….  April 23rd 2010 was a good day. 

Are the sand fleas strictly catch-your-own, as they were when I last fished the Outer Banks, or can they  be purchased at a shop?

This trip is primarily a getaway with my wife, so while she asked me if we'd be fishing down there, it isn't the #1 objective, which is mostly getting out in the air in a place we've never been.  If I can buy the bait, and don't have to bring more stuff to catch them myself, it makes packing easier.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions so far, and any other suggestions would still be welcome, although the picture is getting pretty clear.  Nest step for me--I'm primarily a boat fisherman--is to scrape the dust off my surf gear, tear things apart, and make sure everything still works.

Don’t bother buying fleas, you’ll get too many small ones. A shovel is all you need. Some guys dig them with their hands.
My wife doesn’t fish but loves the place. 

First trip there - don’t try to fit too many things in - chill

ASSUME NOTHING

6 mins ago, Catskill John said:

Don’t bother buying fleas, you’ll get too many small ones. A shovel is all you need. Some guys dig them with their hands.
My wife doesn’t fish but loves the place. 

First trip there - don’t try to fit too many things in - chill

Thanks.

I used my hands in North Carolina, too.  Just didn’t seem efficient, but I do have a small folding shovel/entrenching tool taking up room in my garage that should work.

We usually go there on Fridays so if we're not in NC fishing we'll be down. I can bring my sandflea rakes and get you all you need. By then we'll probably be out. I'll defer to these guys, I don't fish from shore very often and when we do it's a windy ass day for White perch in the bay. The wife has us booked for her birthday weekend which is the 28th in NC. If you're down the weekend before we can come down.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

On 3/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, CWitek said:

Although plans haven't been completely finalized, it's possible that I might find myself in the Assateague area at some point in April.

Forgot to ask…. MD. side or VA. ?

ASSUME NOTHING