Deck question

Rate this topic

Cascade

I am rebuilding my deck that runs around the 2nd floor of my house. Instead of rail and balusters, I'm thinking of stringing SS cable. Deck is 40' with 2 20' returns, , all face the bay. I'm looking for pros and cons. Thank you

Nope, don’t  see a con, If it fits the design of your house. 
They do a good job of not hiding the view. 
 Just be sure the end posts are very ridged and strong, it takes a lot of tension. 

8 hours ago, Cascade said:

I am rebuilding my deck that runs around the 2nd floor of my house. Instead of rail and balusters, I'm thinking of stringing SS cable. Deck is 40' with 2 20' returns, , all face the bay. I'm looking for pros and cons. Thank you

I have no pros and cons...just a few pictures of one we did a few years ago...looks good imo.

Resized_20171115_131427.jpg.81e71ddea27ea92247c013c2129f92b7.jpg20190606_120445.jpg.44f90430722e6f200a76d5bb9db77feb.jpg

47 mins ago, Rmarsh said:

I have no pros and cons...just a few pictures of one we did a few years ago...looks good imo.

Resized_20171115_131427.jpg.81e71ddea27ea92247c013c2129f92b7.jpg20190606_120445.jpg.44f90430722e6f200a76d5bb9db77feb.jpg

Looks great. I have almost 180 degree of water view and wish to take full advantage. Do you have any cost comparison over wood? Labor/material? I work better with metal than wood.  Thank you

22 hours ago, Cascade said:

Materials won’t be cheap. 

6 hours ago, Cascade said:

I hear you. I was in sticker shock from framing lumber. Trex should come with an armed guard.

I pick up materials all the time for the company i work for.....never checking the price because it doesnt matter to me....I just install. But if its for a home project for myself..... I know the total will look like some mistake has been made....its that ridiculous. Doing it yourself doesnt mean it wont cost and arm and a leg unfortunately. Like choosing to eat out or buy groceries....your screwed either way in our new economic times. Wasnt always like this....its out of control.

20161201_145718.jpg.a8d75131bdadce18109b01104f8129ec.jpg

Edited by Rmarsh

2 hours ago, reel em in said:

I’m a retired carpenter builder.
When I have a home project or when I help out the kids, I can’t believe the price of materials. 
I don’t know how people afford fixing up their houses today. 

Tom

Right on that. I am able to save and store that extra 2X4, 2X6 and longer cut offs from projects. Before I got to Lowe's, I check my material store. I just built a rolling welding table for a total out of pocket cost of $6.50 for an 8' 2X6.

Atlantis cable rail is what I've used on a couple decking projects. Expensive, but really nice stuff. I look forward to seeing the finished result so please be sure to share!

It’s been my experience the issue with those cable systems is that over time they seem to get loose and by the time someone gets out to tighten them back up the parts are seized from corrosion. I know of one reputable fence and rail company that makes their customers sign a waiver about corrosion issues. 

6 hours ago, Chunkah said:

Atlantis cable rail is what I've used on a couple decking projects. Expensive, but really nice stuff. I look forward to seeing the finished result so please be sure to share!

1/8 or 3/16 cable? What crimping tool do you use? Powered or manual? Any oops hints that I don't have to learned the hard way? I have dealt with a lot of cable at work but never on a "finished" look. Thank you. BTW Atlantis looks like the real deal.