RISSA

Rate this topic

Ive only missed it a year or 2 since i started going in high school... After last year i uave no interest in paying for parking and admission to mostly look at peoples merch.

I miss the days of good deals on used tackle and good show specials.

1 min ago, fishfinder401 said:

Ive only missed it a year or 2 since i started going in high school... After last year i uave no interest in paying for parking and admission to mostly look at peoples merch.

I miss the days of good deals on used tackle and good show specials.

Parking is definitely an issue, I'm hoping to making it down this year though. 

Im at the point  I,m trying to clear my gear ..    with how fast new products are hitting the market along with improved standards ................I just can, do it .

I.ve even  slowed on e;bay    the shipping & fees  are so high   I could lose if I sell something  .

I,ve done good on SOL        but ya have to know what you have  & I,ve messed up a couple of times ><<

I used to love going every year when I was younger, but now I probably only go every 4-5 years. At the end of the day most of the booths are just tackle shops all selling the exact same brands as the tackle shop in the next booth over. Still cool to go and see familiar faces and catch up with friends though 

IMO Ward Melville on Long Island is what RISAA was about 10-12 years ago. 

"In RI there are clowns and serious people. You Matt, are in the serious people group." -RJ

SOCO Surfcasting

Used to be THE show. People would drive from everywhere to attend. I always enjoyed doing it back in the day, did it for well over a decade. Like most things its day came and went. Best part now would be to meet friends you don't always see.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

yea back in the day ,we didnt just go for gear ...........   we would hand out to close to closing ,,

whwen ya had booths with Habs , Mike , and many more  . some guys would go to more then one show ><><

20 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Best show around. 

I have enough fishing stuff for 10 lifetimes so I haven't been in years...

I hear ya. At this point I'm trying to get rid of more stuff than I buy. I'm a bit of a hoarder. :kook:

Pfantum Pfishah

I was there yesterday and thought it was pretty good - I didn't buy a whole heck of a lot (some lures and rod building components). But my brother came up from Long Island to meet me there and was very impressed. He mentioned there's nothing like that down on Long Island, which surprised me to some degree. Most place were giving 15 percent discounts, buy 4 lures get one free, and others would just offer flexible discounts based on the quantity you purchase. He (my brother) actually spent a little money in there. 

The downside is the traffic in that area, especially given that I got a late start due to the time my brother and I were supposed to meet. If I were on my own, I would have arrived at Providence Place before the show opened and enjoyed a dunkin coffee for a while. You do have to pay for parking, but it's only $2 (unless your stay extends beyond 5 hours, which it then jumps up to $15) and it's a $15 dollar fee to get in the show (plus if you're like me and had to drive in from a distance, gas $$$). So you'll have to take advantage of a few deals before you start to break even. I would say that given that I also paid my brother's entry fee, the amount of money I saved didn't exceed what I spent to get there. Given that my brother's travel included round trip on the cross sound ferry between New London, CT and Orient Pt, NY, he monetarily didn't break even either. But I think he considered the experience to be worth the while. Besides, I think he stopped at Mohegan Sun afterwards anyway, which he enjoys (I'm not much of a gambler)...so he made a day of it.