Beachcombing

Rate this topic

Wow, Thanks for that. I really enjoyed it. I'll bet some of us have found some interesting items on the outer beaches. One of our finds was a movie-prop human body. I think they were making a movie out on Race Point and they stashed the "body" in the dune grass just above the spring tide mark. It was the shape of a body wrapped in black trash bags and tied off at the neck, torso and feet with pot rope. I think it was stuffed with straw or something similar. Another item was a one-piece woman's bathing suit. I put that in my buddy's truck -hoping his wife would find it...

20 hours ago, mcnar said:

Some of you might enjoy this short documentary of a life-long beachcomber. Anyone else do it? Or just have some cool beach finds from over the years?

Just for salvaging broken off fishing plugs. Was better hunting when there were more gator blues around. :D

Pfantum Pfishah

23 hours ago, mcnar said:

Some of you might enjoy this short documentary of a life-long beachcomber. Anyone else do it? Or just have some cool beach finds from over the years?

That’s awesome. My house would probably look like that if we lived closer to the beach. I have a bunch of buoys, fish teeth, bones and skulls, a ridiculous amount of shells, driftwood and bottles of sand from all the different places we have been. 

19 hours ago, finbar said:

I think they were making a movie out on Race Point and they stashed the "body" in the dune grass just above the spring tide mark. It was the shape of a body wrapped in black trash bags and tied off at the neck, torso and feet with pot rope.

Wow, I’m sure coming across that got the heart going haha

Maybe the oddest thing I found, I wasn't beach combing, just hiking to the jetty, was a giant dead leatherback sea turtle. 

Several years later, in the exact same spot I found a really nice good condition sail boat. I was hoping for salvage rights but somebody was still on board, presumably the rightful owner. We had seen him stuck on the fish trap the night before. Apparently the wind blew him ashore during the night.

The one thing I search for but never find is arrowheads. I find them in other places but still have not found one on the beach. I know plenty of other people have but for some reason they allude me. Probably because I keep looking up to check for fish.

I found a monster dead sea turtle once to, big enough that I could have hollowed it out and worn the shell to protect me in battle.

I have found a few decent knives and a ton of lures. I also found a message in a bottle written in French. I had a girl and guy at work translate it. The letter was written to God and they both said I am the the persons God now. I kind of ruined the letter getting it out. I wish I was more careful so I could have framed the letter or just never opened the bottle and put it on a shelf. 

Also, a few days after JFK Jr crashed his plane into the sound I found what was clearly a small airplane tire and wheel, this was a long way away from where the crash site was and close to a parking lot so I always assumed it was a plant. There was no ****ing way I was lugging that around anyway. It was gone several hours later when I walked back.

Embrace American Privilege

August, 1991.   Couple days after Hurricane Bob, I took my dogs for a run on the Mashnee Dike to see the damage.  Sailboats hung up in the power lines on the dike, a BFI dumpster floated in from parts unknown, trash and debris everywhere.

A few feet above the storm line I found a wine bottle stuck in the sand with a cork in it, and taped close. Picked it up, there's a note inside.  I didn't want to smash the bottle there so I carried it back. Loaded up the dogs, placed the bottle in the back and forgot about it.

A few weeks later I was visiting my mom, and cleaned out my truck, and left the bottle there.  She found it, called me to tell me there's a note inside. I'd forget all about it.   

She asked me if I wanted her to extract the note, and I said sure, that's fine, have fun.

Later that day she calls back.  She got the note. Tells me the note was placed in the bottle in 1978!

She reads the note to me and it reads:

"July, x, 1978

If anyone finds this bottle please drop me a note.

James Taylor

Po box xxx,

West Tisbury xxxxx"

The Sultan of Sluggo

36 mins ago, Joe G said:

Sweet Baby James.

So far, Sweet Baby James has been less than communicative.  When I first pursued this, I got what amounted to an online tongue lashing from somebody claiming to be his personal assistant.:dismay:

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

So far, Sweet Baby James has been less than communicative.  When I first pursued this, I got what amounted to an online tongue lashing from somebody claiming to be his personal assistant.:dismay:

‘78 was before Baby James finally went cold turkey. Most likely he tossed that wine bottle  into the Tisbury surf while in a methadone induced stupor.  

Wine bottle with his handwritten note could command some attention from certain entertainment memorabilia collectors. 

8 mins ago, Joe G said:

‘78 was before Baby James finally went cold turkey. Most likely he tossed that wine bottle  into the Tisbury surf while in a methadone induced stupor.  

Wine bottle with his handwritten note could command some attention from, certain entertainment memorabilia collectors. 

Hand written note, ink faded and smeared from 12 years in a bottle. Plus, what appear to me wine stains on the note.

I'm going to give this one more try in the hopes that the old "personal assistant" has been replaced by someone more receptive.

The Sultan of Sluggo