What ever happened to winter in Mass??

Rate this topic

Just now, bob_G said:

I think this is the new normal. It's becoming harder to deny climate change as inevitable.

tahoe area out west is getting smashed with record snow. Pretty soon they will go from a drought to records levels of water. 

I love ice fishing locally so I definitely don't like these extra warm winters. Besides that I like it, ice fishing was my favorite cure for seasonal mood disorders. 

I also worry about the animals and plants that depend on snow melt. Winter precipitation that falls as rain does not have the same effect as a bunch of snow melting in spring.

Aside from that, selfishly I don't mind a lack of snow. At least shoveling it.

What I really don't want to see is hotter summers.

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I also worry about the animals and plants that depend on snow melt. Winter precipitation that falls as rain does not have the same effect as a bunch of snow melting in spring.

I agree, I think it was CT the year before that saw record deaths of native trout because every small creek bed and river just completely dried up.

I don't handle the super hot days well at all. I run naturally warm myself so I also don't look forward to that.

Living on the coast, it's the dramatic increase in wind velocity.  We only saw hurricane force winds (74mph) when we had the rare hurricane event.  Now, we have them several times a year.  Spring, summer, fall or winter. Not sustained winds of course, but gusts.

Cold fronts commonly bring 40-50mph winds.  Noreasters have become especially vicious. Super high tides, flooding, power outages, downed trees, power lines.

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Living on the coast, it's the dramatic increase in wind velocity.  We only saw hurricane force winds (74mph) when we had the rare hurricane event.  Now, we have them several times a year.  Spring, summer, fall or winter. Not sustained winds of course, but gusts.

Cold fronts commonly bring 40-50mph winds.  Noreasters have become especially vicious. Super high tides, flooding, power outages, downed trees, power lines.

Nonsense, perfect swimming weather. Take a little dip Bob. 

Winter is still here. It was damn cold yesterday. We have plenty of precipitation over the last year, just not snow.

I want snow right up until hunting season ends than it has lost all useful purpose to me. 

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I love ice fishing locally so I definitely don't like these extra warm winters. Besides that I like it, ice fishing was my favorite cure for seasonal mood disorders. 

Aside from that, selfishly I don't mind a lack of snow. At least shoveling it.

:th:

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I live on the coast also and to me the wind is the big thing the last 4-5 years. I don’t ever remember it being like this. 

3 hours ago, codfish said:

:th:

A friend of mine just came back from his second trip this winter to family and Minnesota. There is no snow out there. There is no ice fishing out there no ice in Minnesota.!! no snow in Minnesota!