MAKO tournament

Rate this topic

thaistick

Available early may with 3 to 6 week per order , MAKO  states this is their most toughest reel yet ! also available with a color coded snap in drag indicator making your settings instant. Now I have to sell one of my makos just to soften the blow lol ,I'll be using this upcoming summer for the north bounder poons. 

Screenshot_20240301_102131_Chrome.jpg

Sweet looking reel!  Although I'd have to get more details as to what are the exact differences between the Tournament ready and standard reels.  I haven't found the standard drag dial to be "imprecise" at all...I mark the drag on my Makos with the drag setting and I've found them repeatable year after year.  Thaistick, do you have any details as to how the reel is tougher?  I haven't talked to the Mako guys at all since Jack passed away and Judy retired from the business.

@Surflyguy big saltwater fish are fun, go get some makos and get cooking!

2 hours ago, Seadogg said:

So bad ass, but unless I’m after a world record I’ll stick to my Galvans. If MAKO sends me one for free I won’t turn in down though. 

I’ll gladly chase world records with my Galvans…

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

When I was chasing big game world records I only used Mako and Charlton (I was after the mako and thresher shark records).  The one revolution drag is game changing, and a huge factor in record hunting.  Jack Charlton reels hold a disproportionate number (with regards to the total number of reels out there) of big game world records on fly for a that reason.  Nathaniel Linville, probably one of, if not the, finest fly fisherman in the world uses Makos to set his 140# tarpon on 6# tippet with a Mako...it would have been much harder to do that with any other reel that didn't have a similar drag.  

I'm with Thaistick...pricing is what you are willing to pay.  Some things are a waste of money for me but my nice fly reels are, to me, money well spent, and those reels will be passed onto my kids (both of whom are avid fisherman and hunters).  Not for everyone but we all have our vices, enjoy what you like.  As I've said before, I keep a fly reel or two at my desk and during the winter months I pick up those reels (these days it's either a Mako or Seigler) and play with it during meetings when the winter doldrums get to me...

I love my Makos, I have several of them. There’s not a better reel for flats/sight fishing. They are not cheap but when you’re traveling and spending good money to do so they are well worth it. Their only downside is the weight that makes them hard to use for the everyday type fishing that we do here in the NE.

But at this level? IMHO it's getting a bit much especially for the same reel with a new drag knob. I’m sure they will sell and likely sell well. But things are really getting up there, this, $180 fly lines now. Salt water fly fishing is certainly a luxury type activity, but man….

I’m definitely out on these, and I certainly like my toys. Regarding my own, current Makos. If one is willing to wait and look around you can often find them new (or practically new) on the secondary market for ~50% of current retail. That’s how I got the majority of mine (and they were all the Charlton Makos(and all of them appeared to be unused), which I prefer for some unimportant reason).

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

13 hours ago, thaistick said:

I get it man not for everyone, it's what you can afford or what you are willing to splurge on some can do Breitling and others a rolex

I get it but there is a point of what does it do that let’s say and Tibor or Abel can’t? 

Edited by Sandflee

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

30 mins ago, Sandflee said:

I get it but there is a point of what does it do that let’s say and Tibor or Abel can’t? 

The only difference is the repeatable drag. Once you calibrate and mark the reel, every time that you go to that spot the drag setting will be exactly the same, no guessing, no going by feel (and being wrong), no guessing while fatigued during a long fight. Just set it and forget.

Other than that, there’s no difference. You can absolutely fish effectively with a cork drag reel, your drag setting may not be as precise as easily with a Mako but it is more than doable. Is that important all the time, is that important for everyone? - Nope, both reels will perform well enough. One could very easily argue that the cork drag system is potentially more reliable due to its simplicity. The claim to fame for Charlton was that they were sealed - I can say that they absolutely were not sealed as well as they were claimed to be. I have a useless, expensive desk weight to prove it.... Mako, while they are sealed, I would not fully submerge them with full confidence. Perhaps they are that well sealed, perhaps not. But at this point if there was to be an issue they can be fixed and I have heard that it is possible for the user to open them up (that is not happening with Charlton). So one could certainly fish them and if there’s a sealing issue after being submerged, you can get it fixed or possibly open it up yourself. I don’t intend to find that out though. Mine will be fished dry if I can help it.

FWIW, when I go to St. Brandons, I do not expect to take my Makos along with me. Between their weight and the wet wading done on that trip, I’ll stick with a cork drag reel like Tibor/Shilton/Abel. They can reliably get wet, they are much lighter, and there’s nothing to break on them. When I am in Florida in May, on a boat, a Mako will most likely be on my rod.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.